Ram 1500 filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: daman
the k&n has different media then the M1..suppose to flow better, filter not as good.

I'd love to see both of these filters filter material under a microscope or someway to prove they are different. They look the same and feel the same. Wish someone could actually prove they are different.

From what i under stand they are different the K&N Flowing better,me too.

Maybe I could send some media to my wife's lab. They got cool microscopes and stuff! She counts germs.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Maybe I could send some media to my wife's lab. They got cool microscopes and stuff! She counts germs.

Lol i thought about a microscope too.

According to the Royal purple rep the media in there oil filter is a cotton gauze vs a combination for the Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
According to the Royal purple rep the media in there oil filter is a cotton gauze vs a combination for the Mobil 1.

It is a synthetic glass matting, not cotton gauze.

What ever your truck specs for a filter TRY to cross it over to a over sized,bigger filter that will help with flow too.

Amsoil
RP
WIX

all should flow well

I'm not sure what you mean? If I go to a parts store and look up the available oil filters for my truck will some from the same brand be bigger?

Originally Posted By: stenerson
What ever your truck specs for a filter TRY to cross it over to a over sized,bigger filter that will help with flow too.

Amsoil
RP
WIX

all should flow well

I'm not sure what you mean? If I go to a parts store and look up the available oil filters for my truck will some from the same brand be bigger?

well you'll have to do some home work or the counter guy may be able to help,need to check thread pitch/size and gasket diameter,bypass rating all need to be close to the stock application but in a bigger physical size filter.

go to WIX site look up your application and hunt for a bigger sized filter with your specs

like GM's PF-52 is the over sized(longer) filter for the stock pf-47.

I run an oversize PureONE filter like this since I have plenty of space and there is nothing that will be a proximity problem (exhaust heat, etc.) by using a longer filter on my truck, so I do.

In my case, the oversize is 4 3/4" long instead of the stock 3 3/8" long...everything else is identical.
And having cut the two apart, I know the bigger one I use actually has more filter media area. This tends to increase filter efficiency a little as the particle containing oil velocity through the media is a bit slower, as well as max flow at some high RPM conditions when the oil pressure curve from the pump is likely being truncated by the pressure regulator valve.

Amsoil
RP
WIX

all should flow well

No, a NAPA Gold 1515 is the bigger filter. M1-301 and K&N HP-3001. I have a full list on DodgeForum.com.

Originally Posted By: PurplDodge

Amsoil
RP
WIX

all should flow well

No, a NAPA Gold 1515 is the bigger filter. M1-301 and K&N HP-3001. I have a full list on DodgeForum.com.

can you post it up here for us??

And, if you want to REALLY go oversize, the MotorCraft FL299 or WIX 51773 is almost 7" long!!!
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

K and N oil filter. The OD on the larger one is .03in larger. Everything else seems to match. Would that make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back