Ram 1500 car like ride explained

I've got the air ride on my Ram Limited and nothing beats it's ride quality. Never driven a base coil spring Ram but I hear they are excellent as well.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Do we have enough Ram threads … ? Getting ridiculous already.

Then don't click on them?
smile.gif

I'm really like the new dodge trucks. Got to ride in one a while back and was very impressed. A co worker has the V6 and absolutely loves it.

Maybe this is the way of the future, but I just can't get over that shifter dial.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I'm really like the new dodge trucks. Got to ride in one a while back and was very impressed. A co worker has the V6 and absolutely loves it.

Maybe this is the way of the future, but I just can't get over that shifter dial.

That shifter dial was hard for me too...really disliked it. Much prefer a console shifter. Perhaps because I grew up with manuals, I've always felt better if I can put my right hand on the shifter and shift by feel...

I miss column shifters, but I'll take a dial on the dash over a console mounted shifter any day.

My coworker kept his 6.4L a year and traded … said he did not live close enough to the dealership to own a Ram … got a GMC DMax

Originally Posted by Skippy722

I miss column shifters, but I'll take a dial on the dash over a console mounted shifter any day.

Until it breaks.

Happy to see the console shifter in the new Rubicon … smooth as silk too ...

Originally Posted by Astro14

That shifter dial was hard for me too...really disliked it. Much prefer a console shifter. Perhaps because I grew up with manuals, I've always felt better if I can put my right hand on the shifter and shift by feel...

Yeah, it took some learning for us too. While the Jeep and my Charger both had a traditional console mounted shifter, the Durango and both our trucks had/have the dial. There were quite a few times when I grabbed the volume instead of the shifter in the Durango. We are used to it now however, but there was definitely a learning curve.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Until it breaks.

A lot of console shifters are still electronic anyways, with no linkage to the transmission.

Originally Posted by 4WD

My coworker kept his 6.4L a year and traded … said he did not live close enough to the dealership to own a Ram … got a GMC DMax

So Ram isn't reliable, but you have a Rubicon? As much as I like Jeep, I believe they're one of the top 10 unreliable vehicles right now. Wife and I both want one though. We were considering a used 2016 all white Rubi 6 speed. 50k miles and 28.5k.

*You may have it in your sig. I'm on my phone and can't see it.

Last edited:
His 2018 was not and he went with GMC...my last GMC never saw the dealer in 8 years of hard on/off road use …
So, it's been a few years since I owned a Mopar. I'm well aware of rankings. But I think Jeep builds some strange vehicles that pulls down the rankings … the GC is a complicated vehicle … and Wranglers get beat on. Jeep or Ram (looked at a Rebel, just decided I'm down sizing) seem to be improving, not going backwards.
Actually started out looking at ZR2's but was nervous over the GM 3.6L. Only diesel ZR2 was black on black … nope, not in Texas. Was not ready for the new TDI Jeep yet either … Settled in on the Pentastar and ZF8 …

Typical 4 (or 5) link setup like in many SUVs made decades ago. Had a 1990 Toyota 4Runner and was amazed at the suspension engineering that went into the truck (solid axle fanbois can bite me.) Rides nice but suffered from rear droop when loaded up.

The most enticing part about the RAM is the air suspension. Air suspension is common in Class 6-8 vehicles (only in the rear) and it's wonderful having it whether it's loaded or unloaded. Plus dumping the bags is cool.

Back