Radiator stop leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by monster1
Thanks for the replies. I've confirmed that the tank is aluminum. The puddle the leak leaves is the size of a coffee cup ring left on a table. It's not really bad, but I don't like puddles in my drive way. I discovered the leak over the summer just before I was towing an 8000lb trailer out of town so I bypassed the core. Winter set in and I wasn't going to drive around without heat so I hooked the hoses back up. I know replacement is the correct way especially since this is my almost forever truck, but if the bars tabs plug the leak, I'm fine with that for now. Btw, with a leaking heater core, is there a change it could split open and overheat the vehicle while towing in hot conditions? That would be my main concern being stranded. Of course I could always carry a bypass hose and extra coolant.

Adding-NAPA is the place to buy them, 6 tablets cost $3.99, you'll probably need 12 (my XJ has a 12qt/3 gallon system, Bar's Leak says 2 tablets per gallon). Since they're ginger root, they disintegrate into a fine dust in the antifreeze, and jam up small leaks-but will not block a heater core or other small passages. Unfortunately, in my case, they don't last forever.

Thanks. That is what I'm going to do. Every quote I got to have a shop repair as been 1000-1500 dollars. And they dint even really want to do it. That tells me that are going to rush the job and break every plastic part on the way. No thanks. I'll just put those tabs in and hope it holds until I'm able to repair it on my own.

You'll post up your results, right?
smile.gif

The old radiator seals are based on Mustard seeds, working with limited success and making sometimes a brown mess.
I used the new generation Liqui Moly radiator stop leak, according to Liqui Moly it is based on tiny rubber particels or so.
Works good so far.
Read the data sheet carefull or call the company and ask. I think the new generation of radiator seals should "work as advertised".

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Thanks for the replies. I've confirmed that the tank is aluminum. The puddle the leak leaves is the size of a coffee cup ring left on a table. It's not really bad, but I don't like puddles in my drive way. I discovered the leak over the summer just before I was towing an 8000lb trailer out of town so I bypassed the core. Winter set in and I wasn't going to drive around without heat so I hooked the hoses back up. I know replacement is the correct way especially since this is my almost forever truck, but if the bars tabs plug the leak, I'm fine with that for now. Btw, with a leaking heater core, is there a change it could split open and overheat the vehicle while towing in hot conditions? That would be my main concern being stranded. Of course I could always carry a bypass hose and extra coolant.

Adding-NAPA is the place to buy them, 6 tablets cost $3.99, you'll probably need 12 (my XJ has a 12qt/3 gallon system, Bar's Leak says 2 tablets per gallon). Since they're ginger root, they disintegrate into a fine dust in the antifreeze, and jam up small leaks-but will not block a heater core or other small passages. Unfortunately, in my case, they don't last forever.

Thanks. That is what I'm going to do. Every quote I got to have a shop repair as been 1000-1500 dollars. And they dint even really want to do it. That tells me that are going to rush the job and break every plastic part on the way. No thanks. I'll just put those tabs in and hope it holds until I'm able to repair it on my own.

Your Ram is just like my XJ (& '06 Ram for that matter)-there are videos on You Tube that show core replacement on a Ram, dropping the steering column, holding the dash back with a ratchet strap-but it still looks like a giant PITA! I've put them in the Jeep at least 3 or 4 times, and they always seem to slow the leak down, at least for a while. This is using conventional green low-SI antifreeze, BTW, I've never tried them in G-05/Premium Gold/Mopar red.

Originally Posted by porterdog
You'll post up your results, right?
smile.gif

I would post mine, but there's no smell-o-vision on the internet! The smell has disappeared for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back