Radiator options for a early 1990s GMT400 Blazer?

I’m working on getting a 1992 Blazer back from the dead for a friend. It needs a new radiator, the one he bought years ago to replace the OEM brass Harrison didn’t fit - the mounting brackets didn’t pop on and the transmission cooler line fittings are the wrong size.

All radiators for this are Chinese, there isn’t a local shop who can braze on new tanks and rod the core. I see APDI(same one I tried to install), Spectra Premium and other white box ones. Should it be safe to assume all radiators are the same for this and just get the Spectra based on Amazon reviews? Even the GM OEM one is a plastic/aluminum unit made in China now. It looks like Mahle’s Behr(the German radiator brand, not the paint Home Depot sell) bought out Harrison from Delphi/GM Components Holding but doesn’t make a Behr-branded unit for this.

There aren't going to many options outside a Chicom plastic/aluminum radiator in the $100-$150 range. There was 10 or more radiator P/N's in those years & the aftermarket made a mess trying to consolidate them.

Adaptor fittings are available (Should have came with the radiator) & you may need new upper mount brackets.....Got a picture of the original radiator?

Usually 2 core sizes. 28 and 34 inch. The one that fits the correct core size should have adapter fittings. New copper and brass dad's are almost completely gone. That truck originally had a plastic tank rad.

Usually 2 core sizes. 28 and 34 inch. The one that fits the correct core size should have adapter fittings. New copper and brass dad's are almost completely gone. That truck originally had a plastic tank rad.
It’s a 34”x2” core. The “new” rad does have the right dimensions and the oil cooler lines do thread on.

I got one of these a couple of years ago for a friends car, no issues but not Chicom part money either.

This one is 34x2

More..

So the owner ordered a Spectra Premium radiator off Amazon. It came with adapters for the trans/engine oil lines, I used the latter. It bolted up almost perfectly unlike the APDI one.

here was the old one, turned out it was a Modine.

Attachments

• B59DFE25-9A86-4496-8E71-1AED5C709896.jpeg
    B59DFE25-9A86-4496-8E71-1AED5C709896.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 5AD12E3C-127D-418C-9A0D-B0AE73938628.jpeg
    5AD12E3C-127D-418C-9A0D-B0AE73938628.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 32
Back