Radiator flush cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 F150,4.2V6,127K miles
I bought my truck used with 64k miles and have yet to use any kind of flush cleaner in it.I've used distilled water to flush.Its been almost 2 years since my last coolant flush and fill;should I finally try a flush cleaner or just keep flushing with distilled water?
dunno.gif

If your coolant looks rusty or otherwise full of unpleasant stuff, a chemical flush might be useful. If nothing unusual is going on, stick with water.

quote:

Originally posted by Vilan:
If your coolant looks rusty or otherwise full of unpleasant stuff, a chemical flush might be useful. If nothing unusual is going on, stick with water.

Yeah,I was thinking along the same lines.I did add some dye to it last year looking for a leak.Other then that it's ok.
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Shelby:
I just posted about this stuff and suggest you check it out. In my opinion this stuff is like to coolant systems to what Autorx is to transmissions and motors. The nice thing is it's a one step addition product, no flushing necessary, just poor in 8oz's.
http://www.technilube.com/products/rmi25.htm

PS you can buy it at other places online for 20 bucks for 32 oz's, do a search.

http://www.batterystuff.com/engine-cooling/RMI25.html

I got a kick out of the header on their home page.
quote:

RMI-25
Cooling System Treatment *

* This is NOT an Amsoil Product.
This is a product of Radiator Master Inc.

I bought some Zerex 10 minute flush and 3 gallons of Texaco green coolant.I flushed the system with 6 gallons of distilled water then added 2.75 gallons of coolant and it all balanced out;60/40.
patriot.gif

quote:

To explain that a little, RMI-25 used to be recommended by AMSOIL (Maybe still is) and they had a link from the amsoil page that led you to that website. Sorry to bust you gag but it was sometimes the truth is interesting too. I think it's significant that Amsoil would recommend something like this.

Sounds like they had a little disagreement along the way. As much as I don't care for Amsoils MLM scheme and misleading claims, I think they have good products that would stand on their own without the puffery. I don't think RMI is helping theirself with that comment in their title.

I believe in water only flushes unless the system is dirty enough that it needs more. Even then, don't use anything stronger than needed.

i had some scum in the cooling system of a car i bought used. a friend gave me a jug of that prestone rad flush stuff so i tried it out. the directions say not to run it for a very long time, but the stuff wasnt doing anything. i could look down the filler hole and nothing was happening so i left it in overnight, and even drove to and from work the next day with the perstone still in there.

when i got home i looked again, nothing had changed so i drained the stuff and used a bottle of CLR and water. 4 hour later i had a super clean radiator.

I'd worry about the harmful possibilities of CLR and the hoses and seals involved in the cooling system, unless you removed the radiator when doing this and then rinsed it out very well before reconnecting those hoses.

To explain that a little, RMI-25 used to be recommended by AMSOIL (Maybe still is) and they had a link from the amsoil page that led you to that website. Sorry to bust you gag but it was sometimes the truth is interesting too. I think it's significant that Amsoil would recommend something like this.

Quote:

quote:

Sounds like they had a little disagreement along the way. As much as I don't care for Amsoils MLM scheme and misleading claims, I think they have good products that would stand on their own without the puffery. I don't think RMI is helping theirself with that comment in their title.

What MLM schemes and misleading claims are you referring to.

I used muratic acid once in my '84 F250. Followed it up with some lye. Made that radiator squeaky clean, and it's still working fine today, 9 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back