RaceTrac and Murphy USA Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT that I frequently fill up with neither RaceTrac or Murphy USA gasoline in Fort Worth, TX. I have notice lately that my car hesistates to accelerate smoothly and is shaky when driving it. I fill up with Chevron last night and the problems disappear rapidly. I want to know if the gasoline im buying is [censored] ot what? Also, give me a list of best gas stations in Fort Worth. Thanks!

It is possible that there is some sort of contaminate in that station or stations tanks, I doubt that the product itself is the problem.

It is true that all gas is pretty much the same EXCEPT for the detergents added depending on the brand.

I've been three different Racetrac gas stations and they made my engine perform badly.

It's a shame people save a couple pennies for inferior gasoline.

I haven't had much of a problem with Racetrac or Sam's Club gas.

I'll stick with cheap gas and add my own additive. It's more convenient.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

There is no such thing today as "inferior gasoline"-----

the only differences are the quality of the stations tanks and pumps (clean pump tanks and filters?) if they are dirty or there is water in them you will have a possible problem in car performance, and the detergent additives from brand to brand vary.

The best tip I can give is to use a heavily used station that properly maintains their equipment.

Last edited:
Murphy gas is junk. Race Trac not far from it.

That is why we have TOP TIER gas. Race Trac and Murphy's are not Top Tier rated and therefore do not carry enough detergents to keep your fuel system clean.

In the DFW area - use Chevron, Shell or QT for Top Tier gas.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

The "gas" itself is not junk, but the lack of adequate amounts of detergent is something to be aware of.

If you insist on getting the cheapest gas just make sure that every 2k miles or so you use a bottle additive with PEA in it, like Gumout Regane Complete, Techron Total, or Redline SL-1. You'll come out about the same in performance and you might save a bit on the total cost of fuel and additives vs using a top tier fuel.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy

The "gas" itself is not junk, but the lack of adequate amounts of detergent is something to be aware of.

If you insist on getting the cheapest gas just make sure that every 2k miles or so you use a bottle additive with PEA in it, like Gumout Regane Complete, Techron Total, or Redline SL-1. You'll come out about the same in performance and you might save a bit on the total cost of fuel and additives vs using a top tier fuel.

You are correct, I should have specified more towards the lack of additives. I also agree with using Redline SI-1 - great stuff.

RaceWay and Murphy USA around me are terrible gas. IDK what additives they use. I do know my car runs terribly on it. I filled up at Murphy once, and regretted not paying a premium for better fuel for that tank. The gas gauge seemed to drop before my eyes running that fuel.

That is why we have TOP TIER gas. Race Trac and Murphy's are not Top Tier rated and therefore do not carry enough detergents to keep your fuel system clean.

Using that logic, then all Mobil gas is junk, as well as Exxon.

Marathon gas is junk too.

Sunoco, the official gas of NASCAR, isn't Top Tier either. Does anyone care?

Forget about BP gas, CITGO, or Valero.... all junk.

Why isn't Ford on the Top Tier list, if it is that critical? Where is Chrysler?

Marketing folks.... it is all marketing.

What percentage of the population is even aware of "Top Tier"? I would assume it is way less than 1%. And even less than that even care.

Hook, line, and sinker.

Top tier gasoline, look it up. Many of the "big name" gasoline brands don't make the list either.

The good stuff: Chevron, Texaco, Shell, Conoco, Phillips 66...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Top tier gas requires about double the detergent levels required by federal law (IIRC), odds are those gasoline brands don't meet top tier standards. Also, most of those brands under cut their Top Tier counterparts on price. Coincidence? I think not.

That is why we have TOP TIER gas.

I agree that some gas is junk.... but the whole "Top Tier" is a joke. AFAIK, all it means is that if you pay a royalty and claim a few characteristics for your product, you get to label it "Top Tier." But there's a lot of variation between alleged "top tier" brands too, and IMO quite a few that aren't called "top tier" are better than some that are. For example: Conoco is allegedly Top Tier, but its complete [censored]- at least as bad as RaceTrac.

Originally Posted By: Popinski

the only differences are the quality of the stations tanks and pumps (clean pump tanks and filters?) if they are dirty or there is water in them you will have a possible problem in car performance, and the detergent additives from brand to brand vary.

The best tip I can give is to use a heavily used station that properly maintains their equipment.

...if the fuel is contaminated.. then the fuel is inferior.

I've noticed that gas stations that are a couple pennies cheaper, run horribly in my car and my mileage sank. This is why I don't pay attention to price anymore. I'll pay extra for shell gasoline. When I use shell, my idle and mileage are all good. I also noticed that my engine starts sound healthier.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Why isn't Ford on the Top Tier list, if it is that critical? Where is Chrysler?

Marketing folks.... it is all marketing.

What percentage of the population is even aware of "Top Tier"? I would assume it is way less than 1%. And even less than that even care.

Hook, line, and sinker.

You didn't read the post afterwards. Please read everything before posting. but anyhow top tier gas IS NOT marketing. It is simply gasoline that has more detergents than the awfully low gov't minimum levels. It is supported by GM, BMW and other makes.

It is real and a lot of people oo know about it. Chevron, Shell and some others post this at the pump.

As to why I did not mention the others is because the don't meet the standards. Like oil - I want the best.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

Top tier gasoline, look it up. Many of the "big name" gasoline brands don't make the list either.

The good stuff: Chevron, Texaco, Shell, Conoco, Phillips 66...

Exactly! Thanks Ben

I have no problem with Murpy gas or Flying J.... Just because you had a problem with one station you cannot blame them all.....

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
For example: Conoco is allegedly Top Tier, but its complete [censored]- at least as bad as RaceTrac.

I've never had an issue with any Conoco products. Being Top Tier means at the very least means they are doubling the amount of detergents necessary by law.

It's not a joke: http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html

Top Tier is not just marketing either....

While the "base" gasoline may be the same product for the most part the detergency is definitely not.

The nice thing about buying "top tier" certified gas is that you know that twice the DOT/EPA minimum detergent is added, you are assured that if you use a top tier product that your fueling system will stay clean and free of deposits...

But "base gasoline" is the same in any market..about the only thing I can think of is slight adjustments for winter gas where they add more oxygenates, the only side effect being slightly lower mileage.

Even if you go to a discount station..as long as the place gets a high amount of traffic and they keep the pumps, tanks, and filters clean there is no reason not to buy there, you might only want to occasionally use a PEA based bottle cleaner if you only use the discount gas due to the lesser amount of detergent. Because if you buy from X you are getting the same BASE gas as you will at "the brand name station" .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back