Quiet tire for 2018 Civic Hatchback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
general rt43.

I had RT43's and they were screaming at 5 years and 30,000 miles I agree that age makes them loud I replaced them with Hankook Kinergy PT's and now they quiet. Almost any new tire will be quiet compared to old noisy tire unless they have aggressive tread

If the tires got louder as they wore down, it is due to the alignment and tire rotation practices, not a fault of the tire. If you don't fix that, the exact same thing will happen, regardless of what tire you purchase.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
If the tires got louder as they wore down, it is due to the alignment and tire rotation practices, not a fault of the tire. If you don't fix that, the exact same thing will happen, regardless of what tire you purchase.

Exactly. Guilty as charged. I didn't rotate on schedule

On this set I will

Got the RT43 V rated put on this morning. Only limited miles on them so far but a worlds difference from what I was riding on.

The Civic is just a loud car regardless but these RT43's are fantastic so far. Steering response has really improved

I had Good/Year Assurance Comfortred on a LEXUS and they were indeed a quiet tire. As quiet & good riding as the OE Integrity's but, better everywhere else when the weather got bad.

When the G/Y ACT's wore out, I put on the RT43s and they were even better still than the G/Y ACT's but, I could hear'em. Not loud per say but I could hear'em just the same. The RT43 tracked and turned-in better as well.

The Altima in my signature came with OE Michelin Primacy MXV4 and these are an extremely quiet tire but, they're expensive and not that great when the weather turns foul. They're an older design that's still around but, they're quiet for sure. I'd love to get'em again but, I won't pay that price even though I run other wheels/tires in the winter.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS is also another tire that are known for their quiet/good riding according to CR & TR testing. We had'em on a Mazda 3 and they helped in the tire noise dept. But, the car was so loud(no insulation) on the hiwy that it was hard to tell how much the tires actually helped. However, the P7 were a good tire just the same.

I currently have the RT43s (v-rated) on my focus and they're good for the price but I wouldn't buy another set honestly. The sidewalls are mega-soft, just soft enough to make you wonder if you hit that debris on the highway while driving at night because the steering response is straight trash. They also tramline a lot for me, but that could be more of an issue with the short wheel base of the focus. Get past the horrible steering response and the grip is decent (in regards to soft sidewalls at least.) They're wonderful in the rain and standing water too.

Originally Posted by Pew
I currently have the RT43s (v-rated) on my focus and they're good for the price but I wouldn't buy another set honestly. The sidewalls are mega-soft, just soft enough to make you wonder if you hit that debris on the highway while driving at night because the steering response is straight trash. They also tramline a lot for me, but that could be more of an issue with the short wheel base of the focus. Get past the horrible steering response and the grip is decent (in regards to soft sidewalls at least.) They're wonderful in the rain and standing water too.

But, are they quiet?

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by Pew

But, are they quiet?

Fairly so but the difference between this and the past 5 sets of tires were pretty negligible (comparing new vs new so far.) The wind/rain deflectors on my window generate a lot of noise anyways.

Thanks!
smile.gif

I've got maybe a tad under 1K on the RT43's so far. The Civic is a noisy car anyways but I can definitely tell a difference in tire roar. Patches of road surface on 128/95 in this area are pretty beat and it is a world of difference noise wise vs the OEM's. Handling is crisp and while the sidewalls do feel pretty soft, they don't seem any less durable than the OEM Conti's or any GY tires I've had.

Gas MPG seems right around the same, maybe a 1-2 less but then again I've been a little more heavy footed with the smoother ride. Even though the 1.5L Turbo has gotten some bad press, it sure can pull when it needs to.

If there is any negative it is they tend to flat spot after sitting overnight. But they smooth out after a few miles. Will be interesting to see how they handle the colder weather that will be on its way.

So far pretty happy with these tires and especially the price point

Originally Posted by Blue_Goose
I've got maybe a tad under 1K on the RT43's so far. The Civic is a noisy car anyways but I can definitely tell a difference in tire roar. Patches of road surface on 128/95 in this area are pretty beat and it is a world of difference noise wise vs the OEM's. Handling is crisp and while the sidewalls do feel pretty soft, they don't seem any less durable than the OEM Conti's or any GY tires I've had.

Yea I just came back from a 4K road trip and they're definitely quieter at their current tread depth than the other tires I've used at the same depth.

And all of this time(since 2016), I was under the impression that the new gen of Civic was a quiet(er) car than the previous gen. My daughter has a '15 LX sedan and it's pretty quiet and I was understanding that Honda addressed some noise issue in 2016. Hmmm!

Originally Posted by Char Baby
And all of this time(since 2016), I was under the impression that the new gen of Civic was a quiet(er) car than the previous gen. My daughter has a '15 LX sedan and it's pretty quiet and I was understanding that Honda addressed some noise issue in 2016. Hmmm!

I would say my 2019 Civic HB ST is pretty quiet, except there is a decent amount of tire noise at high speeds and rough surfaces. High speeds on smooth highways, it is very quiet. They supposedly reduced noise further on the 2020 HBs and the 2019 sedans/coupes.

I've never had a Civic prior to this one so i can't compare. Every HB I have ever owned has been louder than their sedan cousins. There are some newly paved sections of Rt 3 in my area and the car is pretty quiet compared to the OEM tires. On rougher roads there is decent tire noise but still better than prior tires. I don't think any way getting around that.

Then again my last car was a Dodge Charger that had an EXTREMELY quiet ride other than the rumble of the Hemi. My 6 banger Charger was even quieter...so maybe I'm not making a fair comparison with the Civic

Your right team!

Every hatchback car I've owned were on the loud side. However, I did drive a few quiet(er) ones. I had a mid 80's Charger/Turismo that was frikken loud everywhere. During that same time a few good friends had similar generation(s) of Sentra Hatch or Corolla Hatch that were much quieter/refined.

Even my wife's 1st gen Lexus RX300 wasn't that quiet(for a Lexus) but, my buddy's 2nd gen Equinox(2011) is extremely quiet, almost vault like. It put the Lexus to shame in the areas of quiet and controlled ride/handling mix. The RX may have been the better SUV but, you'd never know it from the driving experience.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Honda redesigned the(at the time) 2012 Civic, it was criticized by the PRESS as being a POS. It was loud(they always were), cheap feeling, tinny, rough & unrefined. Not even as good as the generation it replaced.

In 2013 Honda redesigned the redesign(2013-15) making it a very nice car to drive and very quiet with more sound insulation, thicker glass, redesigned suspension bushings, more refinements, etc. 2016 came the best Civic ever and supposedly quieter still(in the sedan/coupe).

My daughter's '15 Civic LX is a nice quiet, good riding car. I'd love it for me. I want to keep it this way with quiet/good riding tires that also score high in other areas as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back