Quick struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: spk2000
I thought all crown vics had shocks not stuts. This normally makes it much cheaper. A broken spring might be more challenging but if you want to go cheap I would think springs over shocks normally used for towing or load leveling might be an option. Might need to cut the old springs out though to keep the rebound the same.

Good luck

They switched to struts (along with rack & pinion) when the front end was changed for 2003.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Here are some by Monroe that I found:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mon-171346/overview/year/2011/make/ford/model/crown-victoria

I did fill in for the model, police interceptor.

edit: although on rockauto that same part number doesn't mention PI but neither does the FCS. A call to Summit Racing might determine if the Monroe would be ok. But the price on Rock is much cheaper so prob order from them.

Lists as for an LX, so can't be a P71 part. Rock Auto actually lists two DIFFERENT part numbers for the FCS struts...one base/LX, one police.

I would just replace the springs and reuse everything else, unless the strut is also bad or has lots of miles on it. I also wouldn't trust some cheap brand of struts fitament guide.

You will have to buy springs and struts. No one makes quick strut for the p71. We ran in to this problem at work. Gabriel max control struts are approved for the p71 but only come as bare struts.

Jaraxle I apologize you are correct. A parts supplier we use at the shop carries those fcs struts. He said they have had no problems with the fcs struts yet. They been carrying that brand for 2 years now with no warranty claims yet. He also said the spring was thickier more stout than the model for the lx and base models. I say go for it.

Ordered them yesterday...the only alternative was buying everything separately, then having to pay a shop to install it. (I don't have a compressor.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Ordered them yesterday...the only alternative was buying everything separately, then having to pay a shop to install it. (I don't have a compressor.)

You can remove the existing struts from your car, take them to a repair shop, and pay someone to compress the spring. The last time I did that, I went to Pep Boys and they charged $25 per strut.

Jaraxle please post up pics of the struts when you get them and let's us know how they work. I have an 05 Vic lx and would like to stiffen the ride up some and have heard and read that the P71 struts and springs will do this

UPDATE

Monroe now makes police-specific quick struts for the 03+ P71
thumbsup2.gif

Even better, Ford now offers Motorcraft quick struts for the 03+ Panthers as well, in both police and civilian versions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back