Quick Question aboyut my G6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i normally run castrol edge in my 08 G6 and my 01 accord, and run the edge titanium in my 2012 optima, so i wanted to switch to titanium for my G6, i normally run 10w 40, but at my local dealer the only thicker titanium they had (thaT I saw) was 20w 50, and i felt it would be to thick, the guy went and looked in the back, and came back with "supposedly" 10w 40 titanium, when i did my oil change this morning, i noticed it was 10w 40 Motorcycle oil (Power RS Racing 4T), will that hurt my car? do i need to drain it and drop to 10/5 30 if i want to run titanium? from what ive read the motorcycle oils dont have the type of friction additives motor oils have I have about 145k, on my G6, (3.5L) and i dont want to damage that motor, i drive that car the most, especially for work purposes. any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks.

They do sell that oil in a API SN spec, which would be fine for the car. It does have a high ZDDP content from what i read on the web, >1000 PPM, but i can't find exacts. It might be too robust of an additive package for modern catalytic converters but should be okay.

My biggest question would be why are you using a 10w40 in a 5w30 application?

Last edited:
You got here in the nick of time....

Move to 5W-30; it is the correct viscosity for the car and all the "goodies" of modern oil developments would be going into the 30 and 20 grades. JMO. No reason for those crazy thicker oils in your vehicle.

Well it sounds like he has been running 10w40 in his car forever, which won't kill the car, but could possibly cause worse fuel mileage, reduced horsepower output, and generally sluggish feeling.

I think your car will thank you though if you put any synthetic 5w30 in it.

A 30-weight oil is between 9.3 and 12.4 cst at 100C. A 40-weight oil is between 12.4 and 16.8 cst at 100C. Your 40 weight oil is not optimal for that engine.

First welcome to BITOG!

As has been mentioned 5W-30 is the grade for your G6 and IIRC 5W-20 for the Optima.
If you can't get the Castrol Edge that you want in the correct grade then go with another synthetic brand.

10w40 is not too thick for the 3.5 and its tolerances, however the rate of oil flow to the cam position actuators is important, as they are responsible for adjusting valve timing to optimize engine efficiency. That is really what is behind GM's preference for a 5w30, with 30 weight being the minimum for proper protection of timing chains and other moving parts across the OCI that is dictated by the OLM.
The Optima can use a 0w40 or 5w40 Euro spec successfully, and in fact it will help combat the effects of fuel dilution generated by the GDI engine.

Last edited:
ive been running 10 40 since 100k if i remember right, i push it hard, and do alot of highway, outta town driving, but i cant really remember when or why i switched, but i think my last 8 oil changes have been 10 40. but i just went and got 5 30, and a K&N filter.

Anyone recomend a different brand of oil other than castrol titanium, and amsoil. i dirve hard n fast (lol) .

If you want a thicker, stouter 5W-30 synthetic, Mobil 1 High-Mileage 5W-30 would be an excellent choice for your car. Its a favourite on here for many.

Mobil 1 High Mileage is an excellent choice, i use it myself sometimes and its currently in my Taurus.

I would also recommend Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra is better but harder to find.

Pretty much any 5w30 synthetic you can find is a top choice.

You might even give Mobil 1 0w30 Advanced Fuel Economy a try if you want to see a big difference between the 10w40 mileage.

Also, after only a couple of days driving, ive noticed a considerable drop in MPG. is that normal from switchign back to a thinner oil?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back