Quick oil change question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing an oil change for a buddy of mine so he can send a sample into Blackstone for a UOA.

My question is does it matter if the car isn't warm when I change it? As in the car has been sitting for a couple days, I just show up and change it without starting the car. He owns a Trans Am that doesn't go out in the rain and that's what they are calling for all this week. Just want to make sure if I did it this way that the sample wouldn't be "contaminated" in any way.

Nope, it should be fine...it isn't going to be warm when they test it...
cool.gif

OT: another org(er) on here? I swear we go from Js to oil..
grin2.gif

drive the car for 20 minutes or so on the highway then wait about a half hour to cool to warm and take the sample then that way most of the fuel will be burnt off... You could also do it other ways but let them know

I don't think it will alter the sample. It will alter the benefit of the oil change. As long as it wasn't short run from the last start, I don't see fuel being an issue in the sample.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Did you try looking at Blackstone's site?

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas_sampling.html

(I know, strange place to find answers about sampling procedures)
wink.gif

Bah didn't even see that on the website! I sent blackstone an email and they said draining it cold is fine. They do it that way alot of times. Just don't run it for like 5 mins and then shut it off. That's when you get the fuel problem. Thanks for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back