Quick (I hope) question on HM 5w20

I've forgotten how difficult it can be sometimes to search through these forums. I was just looking to see if there is a preferred syn HM 5w20 without getting deep into everything.

Both PPHM and VSML are generally available locally to me. I also saw for the first time on Amazon a Valvoline High Mileage 150k which I've never seen before.

We have three vehicles for the first time that all use 5w20, so I'd like to one and done it.

Is one better accepted than another?

Thanks!

I can't answer specifically for the 5W20, only 5W30/10W30.
MaxLife is held in high regard here at Bob's and I've used it several OCI's in the Firebird in my signature over the years.
I have also used Pennzoil HM & PPHM and now Castrol Synthetic HM. They all seem to do well and have slowed down the drips in my ol' V8 but nothing has stopped the drips/leaks completely. However, it has become more acceptable than it ever was and I've been using HM oils for over a for about 15 yrs now.

Just to give you some reference of size, I used to have several quarter(.25cents) drips on the driveway from just pulling the car out of the garage and shutting down the engine. I now have only one nickel(.05cent)size drip after a long drive.

I've replace the RTV in the valve covers and the tranny pan gasket(upon ATF change) but, I do have some oil pan and rear main leaks but, they're now just wet. Some brake clean now and again has assured me of this...that they just get wet, not actually dripping much any longer. Oh sure, once in a while I guess there is a drip from those areas.

This is my experience but I can't say personally say that one is better than the other.
CB

Last edited:
I've forgotten how difficult it can be sometimes to search through these forums. I was just looking to see if there is a preferred syn HM 5w20 without getting deep into everything.

Both PPHM and VSML are generally available locally to me. I also saw for the first time on Amazon a Valvoline High Mileage 150k which I've never seen before.

We have three vehicles for the first time that all use 5w20, so I'd like to one and done it.

Thanks!

Forgive my snarky retort here, but I find these kinds of posts endlessly runing into an abyss ... I do apologize in advance because this isn't a personal attack on you, but it is meant to be a general comment on these type "What's the best ..." threads.

- It's not "difficult" to search; use the search function. The only thing that makes is "difficult" is the lack of effort to take the time to search. You've been around since 2009 with over 2k posts; this isn't "new" to you. There are literally thousands of posts regarding these type topics. We just usurped 6M (six million) posts not long ago. Did you think this wasn't covered before?

- Is there a "preferred" syn HM oil? Yes; just ask 20 different people and get 19 different preferred answers. (two BITOGERs may actually agree on something ... maybe ... )

- Is one of those you mention "better accepted than another"? Yes - see my immediate comment above.

On top of that, you've done nothing to define what your applications are ...
- which vehicles
- planned OCIs
- what filters
- what environments
- what driving pattern and conditions
- etc
How would we know what's "preferred" for an undefined situation?

Here's what matters: your preference. Nothing more and nothing less.

Oh, and You're Welcome!

Thanks!

Go to Google, type in High Mileage 5W-20 Bitog

Flip a coin, honestly. You can't go wrong with either. The 150k version if Valvoline though I believe is a blend instead of a full synthetic, just FYI.

Reactions: wlk
Back