Quick & Easy "Fix" for "Capless Fuel Systems"

One other thing I forgot to mention. While I don't use it very often, I found out when the "Check Engine" light is illuminated, the remote start feature will not work on these late model Jeep Grand Cherokees. (The engine will start normally when the remote start button is pressed twice on the FOB. It will then run for about 10 seconds, then shut off).

When you get in the car, you then get a message on the dash that says, "Remote Start Rejected, Press "START" To Reset". The problem is doing that will reset nothing as long as the "Check Engine" light is illuminated. (The engine starts and runs normally by conventionally starting it, by pressing the button on the dash with your foot on the brake).

It's my understanding that Chrysler Jeep has 2 types of "Check Engine" lights. A solid light that remains on. And a flashing light that signifies a major problem, and to get the vehicle serviced immediately to avoid any damage.

The P0456 Code..... "Evaporative Emission System Small Leak Detected", is considered to not be a major fault, and produces a solidly lit "Check Engine" light. I don't know about Ford or the other manufacturers systems. But this was yet another reason why I wanted to get rid of this code, and put the light out once and for all.

I have no idea why this should disable the remote start feature... But it does... At least on the Jeep.
All Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles are like that with regards to remote start. I think they do it because it’s easier to program “if CEL on disable remote start” than go through and specify which codes won’t really affect anything and which ones will.

I never understood the appeal of these things. What is so hard about taking off a conventional cap?

I worked for the supplier that made them for Ford a dozen years ago,.

I never understood the appeal of these things. What is so hard about taking off a conventional cap?

I worked for the supplier that made them for Ford a dozen years ago,.
Honestly I like it. When I get gas in a vehicle with a gas cap now that I’m used to capless on my Ford it just feels clunky to have to deal with a cap.

i'm thinking an appropriately sized thick nitrile glove over the opening would cure the evap leak.
Or the appropriately sized Trojan would let you know. Surprise! 🤣

FYI here's a thread from last April where wwillson and Nick had to replace the filler on a Durango and Grand Cherokee. Not inexpensive to replace.

Interesting thread. The only thing I can add is... I would never use any silicone spray in or around the fuel, combustion chamber or other internal engine parts. Some very expensive sensors can be destroyed by silicone.

My new escalade has that capless crap so that'll be fun in the future. Never had a gas cap issue on either of my gmt 800's. Still using the original gas caps for both. May replace the one on my 330k 05 since it's clicks sound tired but it still works.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/ea...-cap-conversion-replacement-head-see-details/

Easy Fuel Capless Fuel Filler Neck / Cap Conversion Replacement Head.​

Make your capless system use a regular cap.
My guess is if these things start becoming a royal, expensive pain, (and all the ingredients are there for them to), there will be a LOT of owners doing these type of conversions. My Jeep only has 17,000 miles on it. From what I can find, it runs around $1,200.00 for an out of warranty replacement, if the have to replace the whole unit.

I have Chrysler Lifetime Maxcare on my Jeep. I'm assuming if I ever do have to replace it, that it will be covered. (Except for the $100.00 deductible).

My guess is if these things start becoming a royal, expensive pain, (and all the ingredients are there for them to), there will be a LOT of owners doing these type of conversions. My Jeep only has 17,000 miles on it. From what I can find, it runs around $1,200.00 for an out of warranty replacement, if the have to replace the whole unit.

I have Chrysler Lifetime Maxcare on my Jeep. I'm assuming if I ever do have to replace it, that it will be covered. (Except for the $100.00 deductible).
Wouldn't the emissions warranty cover this for however long the emissions warranty lasts?

Back