Quick comparison between current 2024 Malibu LS and previous 2023 Sonata / both base modes

wemay

Site Donor 2023
*Malibu has better driving dynamics (better ride and more compliant over bumps, better steering feel)
*Sonata had many more features (adaptive cruise, brake hold, semi-autonomous stay-in-lane, car in front diving off alert, 3-5-6 (click) indicator setting, LED headlights, rear cross-traffic alert with auto stop) probably more i'm leaving out. If remembered, i'll include below.
Touch screen on both equally responsive (very)
*Sonata cluster was brighter
*Malibu has rear park assist alert with auto stop
*Malibu reverse camera is incredibly clear / much more so than the Sonata
*Malibu has less squeaks
*Malibu is more comfortable
*Malibu has push button
*Malibu has remote start
*Sonata had better interior fit and finish
*Sonata had heated rear view side mirrors
*Sonata had better dash materials
*Sonata was quieter at speed
*Malibu has better acceleration
*roughly the same, MPG 30 mixed
*Sonata had larger fuel capacity
*Malibu has oil pressure digital gauge / oil life % monitor / air filter % monitor
*Malibu has key-in-pocket along with remote opening doors
*Malibu has one-touch down windows on all windows

--Malibu - DI, 1.5T, 160hp/184 torque // 87 octane // 0W-20 4.2qts // spin on filter
--Sonata - MPI/GDi, 2.5 naturally aspirated, 191hp/184 torque // 87 octane // 0W-20 6qts // cartridge filter
Both have 16 inch alloy wheels
Malibu comes with Firestone
Sonata came with Kumho

The Malibu is not a bad car, but I'm not at all sure the driving dynamics are all that good. Every single one I've rented sidesteps on modest one side bumps. It's either excess bump steer or improper suspension geometry.

That’s probably the touch feature. You press lightly on the turn signal stalk and it will blink a set amount of time, usually 3. It’s very useful for changing lanes.
Being able to change it is great as I find 3 blinks is too little.
Yes, this is correct.

The Malibu is not a bad car, but I'm not at all sure the driving dynamics are all that good. Every single one I've rented sidesteps on modest one side bumps. It's either excess bump steer or improper suspension geometry.
Might it be you're reviewing rental vehicles? Not to discredit your point of view. I enjoy reading them quite frankly, but in my experience, every last one of the vehicles i've rented have been worn out and abused by 25K miles.

OR... maybe the suspension calibration has changed for the '24 model year, not sure.

My father has a 2022 Malibu, my newest vehicle currently is a 2018 Sonata. The Malibu has a much more dialed in suspension and steering. The steering, brakes, and suspension all feel in tune with each other. The Sonata lacks any sense of driver connection with the vehicle.

Neither is good/bad, right/wrong. They are just designed differently for different characteristics. I do like the way the Malibu drives though.

Back