Quick Caliper Rebuild

Looking good! Reminds me of rebuilding Corvette calipers. Pretty easy and the price is right!
Yes, they are similar construction but the old vette calipers could be a real bugger if the bores were hosed. I used to bore and 304 SS sleeve them, nice the pistons carried the seal not in the bore like these or it wouldn't be possible.

Totally unrelated to the excellent rebuild job(which looks better than what I usually manage even if I have new pistons) but I've seen some...vigorous...discussions WRT other vehicles on the orientation of the "notch" on the piston(or I guess rather raised area).

I've been placing it down(pointing toward the hub) since I've seen arguments about that being the most effective way to reduce squeal, but it looks to me like you've put them toward the front of the car. That's at least what I see if I'm twisting the orientation in my head around correctly.

Is it that critical/important and if so do you know the logic behind orienting it that way? Some people I know put them in however the heck they happen to fall.

As another side note, I love fixed calipers and wish everyone used them. I'm guessing they're more expensive than the typical floating ones.
Go by what the FSM specs. Porsche specs 20 degrees others spec it to be facing downward.

Go by what the FSM specs. Porsche specs 20 degrees others spec it to be facing downward.
Thanks-haven’t seen a mention of it anywhere in the MGB workshop manual. It doesn’t seem to acknowledge that they are even present despite the fact that every unmolested original, aftermarket, and rebuild kit I’ve seen/handled had the notches.

This is for the MGB..

Brake piston.jpg

Yes, they are similar construction but the old vette calipers could be a real bugger if the bores were hosed. I used to bore and 304 SS sleeve them, nice the pistons carried the seal not in the bore like these or it wouldn't be possible.
Rebuilding Corvette calipers is easy, as long as they are steel sleeved.
My problem was bleeding them properly. I never had success until I got the Motive Power Bleeder. Yay! Brakes!

Back