Questions on oil for an old outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 1959 Johnson 10hp (not 9.9) outboard that was handed down from my grandfather. Never got used much (too heavy for him and my dad in their panfish outings-they preferred the little 3hp which is still around too and probably older) , and I doubt its got 80-100hr. I use it maybe two weekends a year and go through the full 6 gal tank each weekend-thats it.
The OEM tank, which is 6 gal says to mix 1 qt of oil to 6 gal of fuel (by my math this is 24:1-that seems like ALOT of oil). I generally use reg 87 octane with 1 qt of whatever TCW3 is on shelf of gas station. I change out the lower unit lube with a hypoid 90 once a year before using, which is what is also stamped on the tank/motor. It runs quite well though it is kinda smoky relative to most of the other newer outboards on the river.
Questions are if I should be using a specific oil, perhaps synthetic? Would there be any benefit? Whats good (I am liking the 7000 supreme in my car but looks like i'd have to buy a case of Schaeffers outboard and THAT wouldn't be gone for about 10 yrs)? Also, the only hypoid 90 I am able to find is at the local marine center called Lubrimatic. Same questions-anything else better?
Recommend any additives to gas or anything else? Joee12, I see you use some kind of spray decarbonizing agent (you also mentioned a seafoam process in another post). What does this do? How does one do it? Would I need to? Also, any tips on storing, as it is used so little. Can't get rid of it, it is a family heirloom and I'd like to keep in best mech shape possible. Lots of info and questions, sorry. Thanks, I know much less about 2 cycles than car engines.

Hey smeltjr, how have you been lately? I see you are getting ready for the warmer weather by dusting off the outboard and getting it ready for use. The two cycle oil debate has gone on for years. I think as long as you stick with a good oil, OMC, Quicksilver, Suzuki, Yamalube, Amsoil, etc., you should be ok. Gear lube that goes in to the foot is another story. If you look back at some older threads in this section, there are some pictures and good debate concerning gear lube. I personally use the Pennzoil Synthetic and change yearly. As far as decarbing the motor, it is an easy process. If you go buy some OMC or Mercury decarbing spray, email me and I will give you the instructions. It is very easy to do, and done yearly will keep the carbon from building up and keep your rings from sticking. Good luck, Joe

you can buy schaeffers at any small quanity amounts you like from Tim. 1 qt or 1 case, doesn't matter. Suggest the Schaeffers 267 gear oil, their tcw3 two stroke, also some 131 for the fuel. Just call Tim at (800) 737-1747 and he'll send what ever you want.

Howdy, guys-and its always good to have a Bob sighting. You guys are probably used to warmer weather in your parts. I was gettin ready for it too, as it got up to 51* last friday. Cold front coming back and it is supposed to be down to -2* tonight. Up here we call it cabin fever, and I did peek over at that old Johnson and have some thoughts. That is what prompted me to write in. I'll be getting the decarbon spray shortly and get that baby peppin. But before the motor gets put to use in May, SMELT season will open up on Lake Michigan on 4/1. Usually no catch until later in the month, so I've decided to take a bonding trip with my father and go golfing in Gulf Shores, Alabama that week. Got cabin fever for that too. Winter here has been colder than a BI*CH. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back