Questions on a new 2014 dodge Durango 5.7 hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Factory fill is SOPUS, no idea what specs these days.

As for early drain it remains a 'feel good' mod like a bigger filter with a ton of happy thoughts but no real world evidence of its need.

I have followed the factory recommendations on my 6.1 since new and it remains tight and right after 8 years and much track time. Never uses a drop...

Changed at 1800 miles. The oil was a little dark but not bad. As you said Steve, it did not need changing. For my piece of mind I feel better. Used Pennzoil Ultra 5w20. The 5.7 makes less noise. I think.......
wink.gif

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Too_many_Cars,

The factory fill in your Dodge Durango is none either than Pennzoil Conventional (PYB) 5W-20. Chrysler has a factory fill contract with SOPUS.

And with PYB being the premier conventional (IMHO), Group II+ oil out there, you'll be hard pressed to improve upon it, with warranty considerations, and such. Yeah, you might see a little improvement in cold weather operation in Ohio with a move up to other SOPUS offerings such as QSUD or PP, but just a little considering the FF is 5W-20. And with extending the OCI out under warranty, very little else will be gained in "upgrading" to a synthetic.

I would continue using the Pennzoil, just like I recommend continue using Motorcraft 5w-20 in most Fords, as that is their FF, as well.

Take care,
Gary

So.........
We took the Durango from Cincinnati to NYC today. 671 miles the way we went.
Put Exxon mid grade in. Pulled out on to the interstate. Stopped 2 times to peeeeee as I am old. Filled up outside of NJ. 21.7 on the trip computer. 21.2 on paper with a slide rule. Not bad for just 3100 miles on the old 5.7 hemi.
It was a great ride and more MPG than I ever thought I would get.
Thanks everyone for help on the oil.
Joe

Update on the girl. Have 7k on her. First OC was 2k second was at 6k. Next will be 11k. 21 on the highway is about the best. To get this no more then 74 mph. In the 80 mph range bet we got on a 500 mile trip was18.2 mph. She rides great and have had not one problem with the Durango. We do love the way it drives. I like it better then the range rover. And a ton less to fix IF the Dodge ever needs it.
By the way we are using PEnz ultra 5 w 20.

Last question. Is a 5 k change interval the right number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back