Questions about Pennzoil Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a stash of 4 - 5 qt containers of the old Pennzoil Ultra 5W20. The one with the 5.0 NOACK. Now replaced with the current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Mine are API SN, dated Nov 13.

Just poured the first one into a 101,000 mile, 2004 Ford Focus w with a 2.3L Duratec. My initial impressions are positive. The car is a lot smoother and quieter at idle, than any of the previous motor oils this car has had (Motorcraft full synthetic, Royal Purple 0W20). Fewer vibrations. Questions:

* 1) What oil change intervals have everyone else been using for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum & Pennzoil Platinum?

* 2) The bottle just says "Hyper Cleaning." It has the same piston cleaning comparison to competitors as
the current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Is what I have, mineral based or GLT based?

* 3) Is the 5.0 NOACK figure a testing error? The current Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is listed at more than
double that figure.

Not sure what your driving habits and style are, but I see no reason that PU/PP can't go 5-6k or more.

I think it was a fluke... There ain't many 5.0 NOAK oils...

It's prolly a mix as most oils are. They ain't going to tell you the formula...

Listen to the motor. Quiet motors are happy motors
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Best F100
* 1) What oil change intervals have everyone else been using for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum & Pennzoil Platinum?

Depends on driving patterns. You could do 10K+ miles under favorable conditions.

You could possibly go even up to 15k depending on appropriate driving conditions. Almost certainly at least 10k.

Even non-ultra PP is good for 10k or 1 year.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Not sure what your driving habits and style are, but I see no reason that PU/PP can't go 5-6k or more.

The 2.3 Duratec engine on the Focus.....is very easy on oil....so using Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra can have an extended OCI of 9,000 to 10,000 without a problem.

Be sure you use a top-tier filter such as the Fram Ultra or Tough Guard.

I use the cheapest oil(PYB, Formula Shell, PU, QSAD, Maxlife, Mobil super syn) on my wife's 2.0 with either a wix or motorcraft filter used a bosch once for 7.5-10K OCI's and under the valve cover it is spotless.

I believe 7K should be easy for PU.

Run of the mill syn, 10k-ish oil I would guess. Hyper blah blah is all marketing. Low noacks are synonymous with GTL.Never did use PU, but I used and using the 10w30 PP for the lowest available noack with the best in class price tag @ $4/qt. Did a UOA, but it was on a 5k run, nothing happened. Running out to 7-9k atm.

Thanks. Pretty good response guys.

The one thing that still puzzles me, is the PQIA web site confirmed that NOACK was in the 5/6/7 range for Pennzoil Ultra 5W30. Pennzoil yellow bottle was around there also. How did they do that? The current GLT Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is not that low (10.5).

I bet the cost accountants had the final say, over the formulation engineers for the current product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back