questions about buying a new camry???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Well I actually located 3 se models with 4 cyl and they are all at the same dealer. Looks like we are leaning towards one of them. My wife has drove both 4 and 6 cyl. She is happy with the performance of the 4 cyl but really likes the cosmetics of the se opposed to the le. Luckily we found some ses with 4 cyl.

You should be able to buy the SE for invoice, so don't pay more than ~ $22k + TTL for it. The 4-cyl and 5-speed AT combo is a more proven combination than the V6 and 6-speed Auto I'll admit.

Nothing wrong with the SE if you like it, but just keep in mind that you lose the fold down seat backs. Also, tire replacements for the SE are a bit more expensive than the LEs, so be prepared to spend about an extra $500-$1000 more in tires on a SE over a LE/XLE over the life of the car.

The 3.5L V6 itself is a fine engine (268 HP and 30 mpg), but the 6-speed automatic transmission (a manual isn't availible
frown.gif
) seems to be a POS. It starts slipping within the first couple thousand miles of operation, the eventually toasts itself. Toyota has tried every fix from a new transmission to a new valve body to reprogramming the ECU but hasn't been able to solve it yet. I'd hold off on buying one at least until it's fixed.

http://toyotanation.com/forum/t194532.html
Search the forum for V6 flare, V6 slip, V6 transmission, or similar if you want to know what I mean.

I wouldn't say that. Not all of the 6-speed Automatics have had problems. It's only a very small percentage of the transmissions displaying problems and the "internet effect" has caused one to believe that there are transmissions failing left and right, when in fact, that isn't the case at all.

Regardless of what some of you may think of CR, the 4-cyl Camry is actually rated lower than the V6, yes the 2007 model, for reliability. I think it's because the hesitation problems for the 4-cyl 5AT are more widespread.

I have an 07 Camry LE that I got 2 weeks ago. My daughter bought my 04 Altima from me and I bought the Camry on looks alone. It is a 2.4L 4 cyl with a 5 speed auto. My first impressions: it is not as quick in acceleration as the 2.5 Altima, the brakes aren't as good, the engine is noisier than the Altima's engine and the suspension is not as firm as the Altimas. On the plus side: it is a beautiful car inside and out, the driver's position is the best I have ever had and the dash is well laid out and all controls are in easy reach. I have not monitored fuel economy yet. The 4 cyl Camrys spec 5W20 or 0W20 oil while the V6 Camrys spec 5W30 as per the owner's manual.

The hesitation problems with the I4 are easily fixed by a software update that can be done in 30 mins at the dealership. None of the "fixes" so far for the slipping transmission seem to have worked.

The 4 cyl will get a bit better mpg .Be cheaper to work on and do you want to do the testing on the latest tecnnology? When the direct injection came out on outboards there were some problems.

Quote:

The 4 cyl will get a bit better mpg .Be cheaper to work on and do you want to do the testing on the latest tecnnology? When the direct injection came out on outboards there were some problems.

Also I have a 2006 Toy Tacoma 4x4 x cab.This is more like a G.M. product build than a Toyota , not so impressive. I would hesitate on buying a Toyota again.

Quote:

Edmunds has an '07 in their long term test fleet.
This may be a good place for you to get started.

Yes great place to start indeed .
cool.gif

In fact , they are directly linked on toyotas website .
laugh.gif

Like any tool , its more about how you use them .

Also like any tool in life , either you use them or they use you .
thumbsup.gif

For instance , edmunds can link you one way or another with just about any 07 camry currently for sale .

In their system that can be broken down into three categories ;
new
used - certified
used .

Supply is plentiful in all three .

There is more useful information at edmunds besides where to buy and useful ways to put it together .

For instance ;

According to the edmunds blog on the long term camry report , thru APRIL07 the camry had sold 143,774 and its next closest competitor the Honda Accord 121,516 .

Now , go to edmunds listings themselves and look up how many 2007 USED (non certified) camrys and Accords ARE FOR SALE .

camry : 3660
Accord : 623

Now in a useful but PR oriented kind of way divide 3660/143,774 (camry) and 623/121 ,516 for the Accord .

For the camry this gives 2.586% and for the Accord 0.513% .

Don't worry about using APRIL sales data with JUNE listings ; it usually takes a min. of three months for a private party to buy the vehicle , develop a problem , deal with the dealer/factory , become disappointed and disillusioned and finally get the 07 up for sale .

Thats an expensive "problem solution" no matter the vehicle .

Then there are those that would , but can't .

So the useable PR statement would be this ;

if you buy the camry you are 2.586/.0513 = 5.0410 times (close approx.) more likely to be wanting to sell your brand new 07 camry than if you had bought the Accord .

Thats huge , and that tells you something .

As a consumer in this segment ,I wouldn't be concerned about Accord Hybrid sales numbers - but I would be very concerned about the number of owner originated used 07 camrys for sale - and what that means .

BTW , to really understand this , one of the best groups to read from are the people that have owned many , many prevous toyotas (happily) and aren't happy with their 07 camry or toyota - to the point of getting out .

Many of them post eloquently and intelligently - all of them are in pain .

If you were to take the worst of these related experiences you could say going from a 2000 Malibu to a 2007 camry whatever you have going on there and why , might end up comparable to going from the the pot to the fire - and spending money to do so .

I haven't looked at all the other vehicles in this segment in exactly this way , but thru FEB07 every single one of them had much better ratios (ie at least 2.?x) than the camry in this regard .

People "vote" with their wallet .
People also "vote" with their feet .
wink.gif

Finally , you might want to explore your familly members many fine options at Ford , Mercury , Hyundai , Kia , Chrysler , Mazda , etc , and esp. GM .

If you go to yahoo autos dot whatever you will find that with the exception of the Accord ,the rest of the camrys competitors are ( owner self rated ) enjoying a "star" rating of 4.5-5./5.0 vs the camry at 2.5/5.0 , also owner self rated .

There maybe some "owner loyality" money available at GM .

twocents.gif

Last edited:
I have the 2007 Camry with the 4 cylinder and 5 spd tranny. The power on the 4 cylinder is sufficient (but I guess that depends on what you are used to driving). I did a recent test with my Camry on a trip. With the cruise control set at 60 for 180 miles, I got 40 mpg. It probably would have been higher if I didn't get stuck in a stop-and-go for 5 miles. Overall I am happy with the car. I would definitely recommend it. BTW, I bought it in Jan and it has 5600 miles on it right now.

We have an 06 Camry SE with the I-4 and 5spd auto. Great car! 30+ mpg, solid handling, leather, alloys, 6 disc for less than $19,500 inc 100k warranty. Dealer was a PITA, but the vehicle and price were right. 25k and counting w/o one single issue. I would insist that they put on the all season tires rather than the summer tires though. Running PP 5w-30 at 5k intervals per warranty.

While the I4 is a fine car and very popular, V6 is basically a lexus ES350 for a couple of grand more.
For some I4 is the one and for others V6 offers all the refinements and power train of a luxury sedan. Tough choice IMO.

Adding my
twocents.gif
:

The traditional oil filter on the I4 is so easy to change... no need for ramps. The V6 has a cartridge filter that is slightly more time consuming.

Apparently, the 6-speed trans on the V6 does not have a dipstick or drain plug.

The 5-speed auto on the I4 does have a drain plug; very easy to drain/refill... again, no ramps needed.

cheers.gif

I'm not sure if the 5-spd auto still has the dipstick since Toyota switched to the WS fluid for 2007. Usually, Toyota eliminates the dipstick once it fills the unit with WS.

It's difficult to see in photos because the handle is black (instead of orange).

I recently checked one car and verifed both dipstick and drain plug.

Hopefully, they haven't made a running change.

I took my 07 Camry I4 5 speed auto (yes it does have a dipstick) for a 170 mile round trip highway run yesterday not exceeding 65 mph and monitored the mileage. I filled up before and again after the trip. Now for a car that advertises 33 mpg, this didn't come close, 26.3 mpg. Now I know the car is breaking in (only 700 miles so far) but almost 7 mpg under the rated mpg is ridiculous. My Altima from day one was always in the 28-30 mpg range and it was only rated 29 mpg with a 4 speed auto. Maybe this helps explain why so many 07 Camrys are being traded in so soon. And why V speed rated tires on a car that surely doesn't need them?

I wouldn't put too much stock into 170 miles trip.
A lot of things can give false alarm. You need at least a full gas tank rather than 6.5 gallons to do a MPG estimate.
Also wait until you go thru the first oil change which I normally do at 1200 miles with new engines.Sokme wait too long for the first OC imo.

I've already got 5 quarts of Castrol GTX 5w20 and a NAPA Gold 1396 for the first oil change which I will do between 1200-1500 moles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back