Question on Job Interview Etiquette

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
Alright, bullet REALLY dodged.
and also claimed that they're having trouble hiring anyone for the position because no one "under 40" is willing to "do what is asked of them."

Seriously, now you should sue for age discrimination.

Originally Posted by IronMaidenRules
and also claimed that they're having trouble hiring anyone for the position because no one "under 40" is willing to "do what is asked of them."

I'd put that email on social media. That's ridiculous.

Also what kind of candidate are they looking for? A person in their early 60s about to retire in a couple years?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Also what kind of candidate are they looking for? A person in their early 60s about to retire in a couple years?
confused2.gif

I'm not going to publicly share the email. It's over-the-top ridiculous, but at the same time I am still actively seeking jobs in that area and I don't want my name associated with it publicly.

I AM, however, wondering if I should forward it to HR at that school and/or the dean of the college. I had actually researched the school a fair bit including reading good portions of their employee handbook(I wanted to get some idea of their benefits to weigh if I were asked to name a salary). It's a large, private Christian university and they lay out pretty strict standards of conduct for how they want their employees perceived to the public, and this exchange is contrary to my reading of that policy. At the same time, nothing will come of it-it's not like I'm going to suddenly get offered a job that I now know I don't want-and I don't want word getting around in the area that I'm a whiner/complainer/etc.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

confused2.gif

I'm not going to publicly share the email. It's over-the-top ridiculous, but at the same time I am still actively seeking jobs in that area and I don't want my name associated with it publicly.

I AM, however, wondering if I should forward it to HR at that school and/or the dean of the college. I had actually researched the school a fair bit including reading good portions of their employee handbook(I wanted to get some idea of their benefits to weigh if I were asked to name a salary). It's a large, private Christian university and they lay out pretty strict standards of conduct for how they want their employees perceived to the public, and this exchange is contrary to my reading of that policy. At the same time, nothing will come of it-it's not like I'm going to suddenly get offered a job that I now know I don't want-and I don't want word getting around in the area that I'm a whiner/complainer/etc.
Ignore them and move on.

I'd have to advise against going the social media route. I would send a copy of the correspondence to the head of the university letting him know how much you would have liked to join his team, with the only reason you didn't being that you weren't willing to abdicate your responsibility to your current employer. If the completely inflexible department chair was ever replaced, you would appreciate being reconsidered.
This is where taking the high road earlier might well pay off. If you are having this problem with that supervisor it probably isn't in isolation. Perhaps your letter will be the tipping point. It will at least inform the university of the problem.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
I would send a copy of the correspondence to the head of the university letting him know how much you would have liked to join his team, with the only reason you didn't being that you weren't willing to abdicate your responsibility to your current employer. If the completely inflexible department chair was ever replaced, you would appreciate being reconsidered.
This is where taking the high road earlier might well pay off. If you are having this problem with that supervisor it probably isn't in isolation. Perhaps your letter will be the tipping point. It will at least inform the university of the problem.
The problem with doing this is... What if the person you are complaining about is a close personal friend of the head of the university, or is an attitude that has trickled down from the top and is systemic to the organization? In my experience with institutions of higher learning I found that they are full of huge egos and elitist attitudes, and they don't readily accept criticism from someone who they consider to be "below" them. IMO doing something like this will not accomplish anything. My advice to the OP stands... Ignore them and move on.

Originally Posted by wag123
The problem with doing this is... What if the person you are complaining about is a close personal friend of the head of the university, or is an attitude that has trickled down from the top and is systemic to the organization? In my experience with institutions of higher learning I found that they are full of huge egos and elitist attitudes, and they don't readily accept criticism from someone who they consider to be "below" them. IMO doing something like this will not accomplish anything. My advice to the OP stands... Ignore them and move on.

+1 to this.

Before you ignore this experience and move on like others have suggested, just keep in mind that what this person did is illegal. He literally, in writing, told you he discriminated against you (and likely others) because you're under 40. This is illegal in all 50 states. I'd think twice about just forgetting it before slinking away with your tail between your legs like others have suggested. Food for thought.

Before you ignore this experience and move on like others have suggested, just keep in mind that what this person did is illegal. He literally, in writing, told you he discriminated against you (and likely others) because you're under 40. This is illegal in all 50 states. I'd think twice about just forgetting it before slinking away with your tail between your legs like others have suggested. Food for thought.
And the OP gains exactly what by doing this?

This is an extreme comparison, but I suppose if your daughter was sexually assaulted, you'd tell her it's best to keep quiet because she has nothing to gain from speaking up?

Come on, man.

Last edited:

I just received a rather long response to my simple "Thank you for your time and the opportunity" chastising me for wasting their time. The email then went on to advise me that all the "young job seekers" like me need to realize that it's disrespectful to apply for a position and then not be willing to accommodate an interview "whenever it is convenient for the interviewer." The entire email honestly was a bit of a rant aimed squarely at me for my perceived "lack of dedication" to prospective employers and also claimed that they're having trouble hiring anyone for the position because no one "under 40" is willing to "do what is asked of them." I had to read the email 3 times to make sure I was reading it right!

So this has definitely been a learning experience, and also a sure confirmation that I would have likely been miserable working there.

Needles to say, the most recent email won't be getting a response.

crazy2.gif
lol.gif

Unprofessional hacks

This is an extreme comparison, but I suppose if your daughter was sexually assaulted, you'd tell her it's best to keep quiet because she has nothing to gain from speaking up?
Come on, man.
Apples and oranges.

Last edited:

Come on, man.
Apples and oranges.

Nope, they're both crimes, they just differ greatly in severity. I guess you're totally cool with someone committing a crime against you without repercussion and I probably wouldn't be.

Nope, they're both crimes, they just differ greatly in severity. I guess you're totally cool with someone committing a crime against you without repercussion and I probably wouldn't be.
Have you ever known anyone who tried to file/pursue an age discrimination complaint? I'm sure that you have heard the old adage "peeing in the wind". That is what this would be like.

Have you ever known anyone who tried to file/pursue an age discrimination complaint? I'm sure that you have heard the old adage "peeing in the wind". That is what this would be like.

I get it, when the right thing might be difficult you should be scared and give up immediately.

Age is a protected class but what the OP has gone through doesn't contain evidence that he was not hired due to age.

Also, the EEOC rules are not worth the paper they are written on. It's a very weak agency that regulates it and they encourage to settle the issue for a few grand in the most egregious cases if violation.

I think the hardest part would be to find an attorney who would take the case. Most attorneys won't touch a case if they won't make a minimum of $10,000.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I think the hardest part would be to find an attorney who would take the case. Most attorneys won't touch a case if they won't make a minimum of $10,000.

You don't need an attorney. You just send it to the EEOC and if there's a case, they handle it.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

You don't need an attorney. You just send it to the EEOC and if there's a case, they handle it.

Not worth the trouble. Look for another job.

Back