Question on brake pad dust

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2001 Jeep, I had a shop put ceramic pads in the front and Mavis Tire put some kind of semi-metallic in the rear. (the car was held hostage at the time Mavis Tire installed rear brakes, but that is a whole other story)

So now I have a bronze looking coating on one side of each of the spokes of my front alloy wheels. Same on other side.

On the back where I assume low end semi metallic pads there is no dust on the spokes.

The ceramic pads in the box did not look bronze colored, but that may due to it being hard and concentrated on the pad. If I took a belt sander to the ceramic pad maybe the dust would be bronze colored.

This is more of a curiosity thing than a problem. I assume with a tooth brush and some car wash soap the bronze coating will come off. My dentist gives me a toothbrush every time I go, but I use a Sonicare so I have a pile of new toothbrushes.

Last edited:
brake pads are like ice cream.

so many flavors!

Mix and match any way you like for the results you want.

IMO, most of the low dust/no dust pads are junk.

And the word 'ceramic' is abused terribly by manufacturers.

Good ceramic pads leave less dust. Usually MUCH less dust.
Who knows what they put in the car?
Like SteveSRT8 says, the term ceramic is highly variable.

Right now, things seem backwards.

I bought the ceramic pads and rotors myself and they were top notch. I think the were the same brand as the caliper which was ATE, but its been awhile and I can not remember exactly. Jeep used two brands of calipers in the front for 2001 and the length of the pads varied by about an inch.

Yes I assume ceramic pads are better. But I have no real proof. I will have to have a discussion with a Boces (techical high school) auto shop teacher who belongs to my boat club. He seems to know all this stuff.

I think there is goods and bads with all pads.

I think the trade-off is more brake dust better stoppin, but possibly more wear, where no brake dust (or very little) doesnt have the best stop power, but lasts the longest.

IMO I use ceramic in all my cars, duralast golds because of the lifetime warrenty hehe. I tried other pads, but they either squeek or just dont have the 'bite' i want =)

Yes, ceramic brakes can be a fine line. I've never had any issues with the ones that I have installed myself. Donald, Do you know for sure that ceramics were installed on the fronts ? For normal driving and normal braking, ceramic brakes are fine. I love mine, quiet and low dusting with very good braking ability under normal driving conditions from the first stop of the day to the last, even on long distance drives through mountainous regions and braking down hill from highway speeds. Even after driving for hours!

NOT FOR REPEATED STOPS!
Such as race track high speed driving...100 mph and brake hard into a turn and again and again and again. Then you need something special. Ceramics may be able to take a couple of stops like that but, you won't finish the race in good condition without hitting the wall.

When I was a kid at camp we made little clay pots, baked them in a kiln, glazed them and rebaked them. Moms always loved them but they never knew what to do with them. They were called ceramic. That seems very far away from ceramic brake pads. So what does ceramic really mean?

Without actually knowing, I would take a wild guess and say the compound has more mineral content in lieu carbon & metals. Too bad ignorance isn't painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back