Question M Benz again with the stupid /to me/specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a vehicle with the MBenz 3.0 diesel engine

they state one must use their fleece oil filter .
Question are they onto something or is this more junk talk from MB

all i know is , some sprinter folks I know will only buy MB oil and filters, they go by the list in their ownersmanual. Trying to use another brand that says it replaces MB stuff did not work out for some folks.

What aftermarket company lists one for that car? If they list one, then they have supposedly looked at the MB specs and provided an aftermarket filter application.

Originally Posted By: badnews
Just bought a vehicle with the MBenz 3.0 diesel engine

they state one must use their fleece oil filter .
Question are they onto something or is this more junk talk from MB

If you really think Mercedes is BSing you that badly, you probably shouldn't trust them enough to own one of their vehicles.
wink.gif

From what I've seen, when a manufacturer says "we recommend" something, that indicates a flexible rule; when they say "you MUST use" something, there's probably something to that.

SuperBusa
Fram CH10323 is what I have found
I have heard here Fram cartridge filters are good to go

It is a new ball game d00df00d -- I stopped trusting folks when the last three or four lifetime warranties I had went out of business less than a few years of me owning the product they hawked .

Do I trust MB ---- no they have an agenda / Euro environment stuff and the need to make a buck off of me . Like Nissan they are trying to force the customer to come to them for simple service issues -- and I have a huge problem with that .

Maybe most MB owners don't like to get dirty and do their own oil and filter changes but I am not a average MB owner I guess

And I throw this out here in the forum to see how in or out of line my thinking is I guess

Last edited:
The Euro auto makers really do know what they are talking about. They are finely crafted precision pieces of equipment, do not skimp on maintenance.

You can purchase fleece filters and the correct oil online.

The interval is still 12K miles? (or is all OLM now?)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, supposedly this fleece media handles extended OCIs better, which is what MB touts. Our C300 is on a 13k mile OCI.

Thanks pete
I will buy this filter I guess
no harm in asking I thought

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout
The Euro auto makers really do know what they are talking about. They are finely crafted precision pieces of equipment, do not skimp on maintenance.

You can purchase fleece filters and the correct oil online.

The interval is still 12K miles? (or is all OLM now?)

I ain't buying an oil that costs three to four times what Rotella T6 will do

Like in the movie Josey Wales
Don't P down my back Senator and tell me it is raining

Originally Posted By: badnews

I ain't buying an oil that costs three to four times what Rotella T6 will do

If you don't want to give them a reason to deny warranty claims, you'd better stick to an oil that meets their spec.

M1 ESP 5w-40 (Meets MB 229.51 spec) is available at PepBoys for $7/quart if I'm not mistaken. Rotella T6 comes out to about $4.90/qt, so the difference isn't that much, especially if you only change your oil once a year.

Technically, Rotella T6 isn't a long OCI oil, but it's a good oil nonetheless and I'd be surprised if it caused much harm.

Fleece oil filter is supposed to be used on extended OCI up to 18k miles.

My '00 E430 can use either old paper filter or fleece filter, the price difference is about $3-5 of the same brand. I exam the filter carefully and never see anything in the filter media, and after 12-13k miles of use the paper filter seems can be used another 12-13k miles.

Foe my '00 E430, I stay with paper filter because it more than good enough, I don't think it needs fleece filter.

I do more than they say for wife's 01 e320. It isn't much difference in price for the "fleece" media. They relate the fleece to the long change intervals on the service monitor. I change at 5k with Mobil 0w-40 and still use the fleece. The oil is black as coal when I pour it in the recycling bin. That's all the testing I need to do on a car that sold for 50K. The fleece is really more like the RP or Amsoil white media rather than fluffy stuff as fleece implies. MB doesn't make oil filters, so using Mann or Hengst will be the same as OE. Those are around $11-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back