Question for Transmission mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a motorhome (96 Ford 460 cu in E4OD trans with gear venders overdrive)that I use to go to the desert and tow about a 8000 lb trailer. For the past 4 years since I installed a temp guage, which is just before the first cooler, the oil temp pulling up the mountains has alway been about 180F. Coasting down hill raises the temp to about 210-220 briefly as the torque converter unlocks and heat builds updue to slippage in converter (normal). This weekend coming back from the desert the oil temp steadily climbed to 220 going up hills (40F higher than normal) and ocasionally hit 240F. I use Amsoil synthetic, so I am not woried about the fluid, but why is the temp climbing now? The converter was locking up, I could see the RPM drop after a shift and then drop again 2 seconds later when the converter locked as normal. But the temp kept climbing. Are the clutches slipping slightly and causing the heat? If so, what do I do about it? Any other ideas on the cause of sudden increase in temp? Water temp stayed normal. There was a strong "oil" odor when I got home but no leaks. Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back