Question about same brand oil mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need six quarts of oil for my 2000 Dodge 4.7 V8. Due to weird oil inventories at my local oil store. I was only able to score five quarts of Quaker State Ultimate Durability Synthetic 10w-30 SN. They are out of that oil in 5w-30 but they do have it in 5w-20. Would it be okay to mix the 10w-30 QSUD with one quart of 5w-20 QSUD without screwing up the chemistry of the oils? Thanks in advance.

I would throw the quart of SUD 5W-20 in before I would use anything else.
You are paying for five quarts of GRP III.
I would buy the sixth quart in the same oil, different grade.
Why pour in a quart of anything else?

There aren't any chemistries to screw up. Oil is oil and there is only a handfull of additive makers . Look at the posted uoas . The oils are more alike than different. The like oil base stocks would be ideal.

I tried mixing Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and PYB 5w-30 once and the result was a syrupy slightly thick oil but thanks anyway. I'd like to stay all synthetic if I can.

i mixed 5qts valvoline 5/20 with 2 qts 10/40
its still running good and clean
id say its best not to mix but in a pinch........

Originally Posted By: electrolover
i mixed 5qts valvoline 5/20 with 2 qts 10/40
its still running good and clean
id say its best not to mix but in a pinch........
Why is it not best to mix?

why mix oil if you dont have to? your not goin to make some new better oil. but like i said i think for example val 5/20 and 10/40 would be ok because they are the same maker and base and prob add pack too.

i was in a pinch, i needed 7 qts 5/30 and had enough cash for 5
and a case of 10/40 at home. i dont even run valvoline usually but i wanted the least gamble they would match.

anyone know what viscosity that makes?

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
I tried mixing Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and PYB 5w-30 once and the result was a syrupy slightly thick oil but thanks anyway. I'd like to stay all synthetic if I can.

Come on... mixing PP and PYB of the same weights wouldn't create something noticeably thicker.

Well, I can't say for sure. It seemed to drain slower and just looked to have the viscosity of say a 10w-40. You know how 5w-30 drains like thick water when at full temperature at an oil change? My brew just looked thicker and seemed to drain slower. Maybe it was just my perception of things.

i wouldnt mix them.
i had a friend who constantly changed back and forth from conv to syn. he had to pull his oil pan off to change the pan gasket. when he got it off he had jello like goo in the bottom of the pan. if you want a blend buy gold penz. its already mixed for you

i had a friend who constantly changed back and forth from conv to syn. he had to pull his oil pan off to change the pan gasket. when he got it off he had jello like goo in the bottom of the pan.

But that was probably due to something else, not from mixing a quart of something with 5 quarts of something else.

I need six quarts of oil for my 2000 Dodge 4.7 V8. Due to weird oil inventories at my local oil store. I was only able to score five quarts of Quaker State Ultimate Durability Synthetic 10w-30 SN. They are out of that oil in 5w-30 but they do have it in 5w-20. Would it be okay to mix the 10w-30 QSUD with one quart of 5w-20 QSUD without screwing up the chemistry of the oils? Thanks in advance.

So your talking about mixing 1 Qt. of 5W20 with 5 Qts of 10W30 using the "same" QSUD oil? I do it all the time. My Ford takes 5.5 Qts of 5W20 and my GM takes 4 to 4.5 Qts of 5W30. I buy a 5Qt jug of each (Pennzoil Plat.) and use .5 Qt of the left over 5W30 to top off the 5w20 in the Ford.

i wouldnt mix them.
i had a friend who constantly changed back and forth from conv to syn. he had to pull his oil pan off to change the pan gasket. when he got it off he had jello like goo in the bottom of the pan. if you want a blend buy gold penz. its already mixed for you

I've been mixing for almost 40 years and pulled many of my own oil pans and valve covers. Never have seen what you described. If there was jello-like-goo in the oil pan, it could have been there for a many number of reasons. This is just another case where, "I know a guy"...!

Hemi426, mix away my brother! You'll still have a 10W30 grade oil just a bit lighter and probably better for the Pa winter.

Last edited:
You're fine mixing the two. Otherwise half the people on this board would have nuked or sludged engines. Myself included.

Go ahead and include the QS 5W-20.
In that ratio you'll be lightening up the oil only slightly; it will still be a 10W-30 oil.
Also, that ratio is little different than changing oil brands in a oil change; there is always 10-15% of the old oil mixed with the new.

I say mix away & don't worry, this includes different brands too! In about 2 years, I'll probably be mixing up various combos using TropArtic 5w30, Havoline 10w30, & Formula Shell 5&10w30.
wink.gif

Wow, is BITOG really discussing this to this extent? Use the one quarte of 5w-20 and move on with your life. It won't harm anything, even if it's "not good to do" it's not going to damage anything doing this for one oil change.

Well, I can't say for sure. It seemed to drain slower and just looked to have the viscosity of say a 10w-40. You know how 5w-30 drains like thick water when at full temperature at an oil change? My brew just looked thicker and seemed to drain slower. Maybe it was just my perception of things.

I have to say, sometimes the eye sees what we want it to see.

If your Oil drains out a rust color, it means Blown HG to one.. Additive use to another.
If it drains out Black and watery, its supposed to be fine.
If it drains out in Chunks (!) its one person's "Sludge-cleaning" with who and God knows what, .. another person's "Dying engine."

Mixing Conventional with Synthetic is SUPPOSED to be fine, though a lot of people dont do it. They also say that the Oil will "Pump at the grade of the heavier Oil" but that makes little sense, if the heavier Oil is 1/5, 1/6, 1/4, 1/8th the sump.... ?

Im convinced that if one finds an Oil that works, they should continue to use it. If the Oil happens to be a Mix of grades, kinds, to get optimal properties of both, you SHOULD generally have a result somewhere in between the two, and sure some will say "Throw a quart of MMO in there to better help the cleaning" why not.

My reading leaves me no less than -3- oils i like, M1 being one of them. Seems it works well, yet differently. All hype posts excluded regarding 1.8Ts, which are "Known sludgers" as well as some others (Saab 9-3 Viggen, etc.)

OP.. Desired result of mixing? Or mixing just because its low? Either way.. its fine.

We promise. Cross our hearts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back