Question About Pennzoil GTL based Motor Oils

Regarding Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum

Does Pennzoil use GTL base and crude derived base mixed together, or is the majority of the motor oil made from GTL base stocks?

I am aware there is going to be additives and viscosity modifiers in the oil. The reason I ask is I often read products marketing material claim it contains something only to find out later that is contains 1% of that ingredient.

Is the majority or all of the base stock of PP and PUP actually made using GTL base stocks?

This is mostly for my own curiosity, not because I feel GTL is superior to refined crude etc.

Typically, SOPUS uses the term "Interchangeable low viscosity base oil" on their Material Safety Data Sheet so its a bit harder to discern what their blend is.

I suspect that PP & PUP are primarily GTL as they are pretty light viscosity and have a low VII

Typically, SOPUS uses the term "Interchangeable low viscosity base oil" on their Material Safety Data Sheet so its a bit harder to discern what their blend is.

I suspect that PP & PUP are primarily GTL as they are pretty light viscosity and have a low VII
I believe a while back QSUD was using some GTL as well

Semi-related: If GTL is near as good as PAO, and even Mobil 1 contains GTL and little to no PAO since this "Triple Action" era reformulation, then why aren't more people into Pennzoil Platinum when it's also cheaper than Mobil 1?

Semi-related: If GTL is near as good as PAO, and even Mobil 1 contains GTL and little to no PAO since this "Triple Action" era reformulation, then why aren't more people into Pennzoil Platinum when it's also cheaper than Mobil 1?
Mobil famously replaced a good chunk of the M1 0W40's PAO with GTL a while back, but in the latest version they've gone in the opposite direction, it now has about the same % of PAO or even more than before the reformulation.

Mobil famously replaced a good chunk of the M1 0W40's PAO with GTL a while back, but in the latest version they've gone in the opposite direction, it now has about the same % of PAO or even more than before the reformulation.
Ahh, interesting, I didn't know that. That's awesome.

Do you know if it's the same for the EP line in thinner viscosities?

Exactly what I do. I used to pay for Mobil 1 ESP for my VW but now I buy PP Euro L instead. It doesn’t have VW 504 00 approval but it has similar BMW and Mercedes-Benz approvals instead.

This is exactly what got me interested in PP and PUP in the first place. I have been using Mobil 1 EP, but recently started buying PP on sale since it seems to be a good value proposition. I don't run extended drain intervals, so it might not even really matter... But I still like to get the best I can (for the price) even if I am only running 4-6k intervals. The reason I was running Mobil 1 EP on such short drain intervals was simply because it was just a few bucks more versus M1 AFE, so i figured why not..

This is exactly what got me interested in PP and PUP in the first place. I have been using Mobil 1 EP, but recently started buying PP on sale since it seems to be a good value proposition. I don't run extended drain intervals, so it might not even really matter... But I still like to get the best I can (for the price) even if I am only running 4-6k intervals. The reason I was running Mobil 1 EP on such short drain intervals was simply because it was just a few bucks more versus M1 AFE, so i figured why not..
I'm with you on the value proposition. I think PP is one of the best, if not  the best, deals going right now.

Back