Question about accessing cellular data from a comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the only access to the internet is ATT 4G LTE, and the computer in question is a company desktop with an ethernet port only and is locked so no new software/drivers can be installed...

how does one hard wire the desktop to connect to a cellular network?

The basic setup I am thinking would be for the smart phone (I am thinking about a Nokia Lumia 635) to act as a wifi hotspot, then wire some sort of an "intermediary device" to the desktop and through wifi to the Lumia.

what would that "intermediary device" be?

Some time back I remember verizon had a hotspot box, It was addon to your account but separate from phone. I dont know but unless it is connected via network cable you may not get past setting a USB port up to be a network connection.

Find a cellular magic box that connects via ethernet and supplies DHCP and so on.

Last edited:
Microcell says that

"Internet Connection
Broadband connection such as
AT&T U-Verse ®, DSL, or cable required. "

There is no broadband in the area, the only internet is ATT 4G LTE. Verizon or T-Mobile have very poor reception there. It's a rural 3-rd world country environment as far as infrastructure goes. There is a hard wired phone line that is dead 50% of the time and the fastest dial up has been 24 kbps. That's good for 1980-s but not nowadays.

I am thinking a Cricket data line for 10G per month, the most data they can provide.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

You might be able to set up a Linksys or any other router that is compatible with DDWRT firmware as a "wireless client" on your phone's hotspot wireless network SSID and then plug your wired PC into the router. From what limited use I've experimented with, your phone would assign a DHCP address to any connected client. Does that make any sense?

smile.gif

If the computer has an available USB port, a simple USB Wi-Fi adapter should work once you set up a wireless network. Most cellular providers offer 4G "wireless hotspots" that connect to their networks.

They make something called "gaming adaptors" that plug old school Xboxes into wifi networks.

Kinda like this:

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G820-Wi...=gaming+adaptor

When you first plug it in, you browse to a semi-random 192.168.1.x IP address and then set it up further, like telling it what wireless SSID to connect to.

I hope you use this info for purely evil reasons.
crackmeup2.gif

There are many WiFi devices that offer client Ethernet ports.

The least expensive are sold as a 'range extender' or 'repeater' with an Ethernet port an incidental feature. Expect to pay about $20.

Alfred-

Your 4G hotspot (Smartphone?) provides wifi internet - then just plug in a wireless adapter & connect to your network from your hotspot, and hard cable out the Ethernet port into your desktop.

Here's one I pulled up on Amazon. TP-LINK TL-WR710N 150Mbps Wireless N Mini Pocket Router, Repeater, Client, 2 LAN Ports $29

Hey few people know that a laptop on wifi with an ethernet jack - that the jack is live ?

ie you can run that jack into your desktop (that has no wifi card) and it'll work!

Last edited:
Also keep your eye out for new antennae's on your neighbors property. We were on a cellular network for internet for a few years, but now a local guy has set up his own ISP using his own wireless network. Now we have unlimited data at a fast enough speed 12MB/s for less money that our 20GB/month plan was.

You must have an AT & T plan that allows data sharing in order to activate the Wi Fi hotspot on a phone connected to their network.

The Lumia's do make very good Wi Fi hotspots - I use the function on mine daily.

@Win, thanks.

I have narrowed it down to a Cricket 10gb/month plan with a Lumia 635 as the acting hot spot. Cricket will allow the hot spot function for $10/month extra.

They are essentially an ATT reseller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back