Quaker State Full Synthetic 5w30 - VOA

Attached is a virgin sample of QSFS 5w30 that I am currently running in my 24 Ford Transit 250.

I switched over from Castrol GTX HM, liking the higher viscosity and flashpoint as well as the increased boron and moly compared to the GTX.

The only thing I dont like is the slightly lower TBN.

Screenshot_20240702_200947_OneDrive.jpg

TBN is relatively unimportant anymore unless your engine is worn and has a significant amount of blow-by. Or if you are really pushing the limits of a very long OCI.

Just wondering, why is flash point important to you?

Decent starting viscosity at 100C & little bit of Moly. You can find this stuff just about everywhere too. Thanks for testing this.

Well it's definitely "thicker" then the Castrol I had been testing and contains "more" moly.

Depending on how the UOA comes back I think I have found my permanent maintenance oil for this vehicle in my fleet. I was impressed enough with the VOA that I just changed the oil in my 23 Sierra 1500 with the stuff. I dont run UOA on that vehicle it gets changed every 6 months with like 4k on the oil.

TBN is relatively unimportant anymore unless your engine is worn and has a significant amount of blow-by. Or if you are really pushing the limits of a very long OCI.

Just wondering, why is flash point important to you?

I am testing 10k oci on my Ford Transit. Ford recommended 15k but i refuse to go that far. 10k is enough for me.

As far as flashpoint I guess I had always assumed that a higher flashpoint would cause less evaporative loss.

Well it's definitely "thicker" then the Castrol I had been testing and contains "more" moly.

Depending on how the UOA comes back I think I have found my permanent maintenance oil for this vehicle in my fleet. I was impressed enough with the VOA that I just changed the oil in my 23 Sierra 1500 with the stuff. I dont run UOA on that vehicle it gets changed every 6 months with like 4k on the oil.
I always liked their old website slogan they had for a while. "It's just dam* good oil" :cool: 🍻

I am testing 10k oci on my Ford Transit. Ford recommended 15k but i refuse to go that far. 10k is enough for me.

As far as flashpoint I guess I had always assumed that a higher flashpoint would cause less evaporative loss.
TBN can be a funny thing. There is more than one way to measure it, and depletion is often not linear.

As far as flash point goes there isn’t always a firm connection between that and evaporation. Noack isn’t perfect, but it’s better than trying to correlate to flash point. Flash point is included primarily or first responders and emergency personnel that need to know what temperature a substance will ignite when in the presence of a flame.

Last edited:
You are comparing a conventional to a full synthetic so not a fair comparison. As for the TBN of 6.2 - not bad actually as the TBN will fall slower than a conventional oil will. After a run of 5-6k miles that SYN will still have around a 3.5-4.5 TBN which is fine where the Castrol will probably be around 2-3 TBN. You don't worry until it gets to 1.

You are comparing a conventional to a full synthetic so not a fair comparison. As for the TBN of 6.2 - not bad actually as the TBN will fall slower than a conventional oil will. After a run of 5-6k miles that SYN will still have around a 3.5-4.5 TBN which is fine where the Castrol will probably be around 2-3 TBN. You don't worry until it gets to 1.

Screenshot_20240702_200103_OneDrive.jpg

Castrol GTX was at 3.6 at 9,450 miles. I have a 12 qt sump and I was testing to see if I could do 10k with a semi-syn.

Btw Ford recommends 15k with semi-syn Motorcraft for this vehicle.

Castrol GTX was at 3.6 at 9,450 miles. I have a 12 qt sump and I was testing to see if I could do 10k with a semi-syn.

Btw Ford recommends 15k with semi-syn Motorcraft for this vehicle.
If Ford gives the ok to 15k on a semi-syn then you may be alright to go ahead with it . That 12qt sump should really help a long drain especially since the QS is a full synthetic.

If Ford gives the ok to 15k on a semi-syn then you may be alright to go ahead with it . That 12qt sump should really help a long drain especially since the QS is a full synthetic.

Ehhhh no matter what oil I end up using I dont plan on pushing past 10k oci. I need this vehicle to last. Heck, i had a 6k oci on my old vehicle!

Ehhhh no matter what oil I end up using I dont plan on pushing past 10k oci. I need this vehicle to last. Heck, i had a 6k oci on my old vehicle!
i would see how the QS FS looks at 10K. if it looks good, maybe you could do the QS Ultimate Protection to 15K?

trying to see if there is a way to save money here based on filters/downtime. if i remember correctly, this is a work vehicle for you.

i would see how the QS FS looks at 10K. if it looks good, maybe you could do the QS Ultimate Protection to 15K?

trying to see if there is a way to save money here based on filters/downtime. if i remember correctly, this is a work vehicle for you.

Yes its a work vehicle that experiences 2,000+ miles a week.

I am changing the oil this weekend where it should be close to 30k on the engine and 10k on the QS FS. We will see what the UOA says!

Yes its a work vehicle that experiences 2,000+ miles a week.

I am changing the oil this weekend where it should be close to 30k on the engine and 10k on the QS FS. We will see what the UOA says!
keep us posted. have you thought about spill and fills on the transmission? assume it’s a 10r80

Back