Quaker State 5w30 SP

I’m curious about the durability of this oil. It might be great new, but lose performance quickly. Still serviceable if used within normal service intervals, just not producing these outstanding numbers after 5000 miles.

I’ve been running this oil on my k20. I have an oil temp/pressure gauge, and after about 3000 miles I’ve noticed the oil suddenly heats up quicker and gets up to higher temps when running the engine hard. It didn’t do this when new.

That might be the difference between Quaker state and pennzoil. Pennzoil might hold its performance longer, while Quaker state’s might fall off quicker. The great numbers might simply be a quirk of the formulation. And it would also be strange that Shell would make their second tier brand better than their top tier brand.
QSFS = PP (and not PUP) in my understanding & usually can be had cheaper than PP I beleive (not including sale or rebates etc)...

That's probably why they got rid of Rotella gas and truck..
That and the fact that it was relatively poorly marketed, It was $40/jug at the parts stores, and $25/jug at Walmart, which at the time was slightly more expensive than Pennzoil Platinum and substantially more expensive than Quaker State Ultimate Durability both of which have a well established market.

That and the fact that it was relatively poorly marketed, It was $40/jug at the parts stores, and $25/jug at Walmart, which at the time was slightly more expensive than Pennzoil Platinum and substantially more expensive than Quaker State Ultimate Durability both of which have a well established market.
Quaker State full synthetic is the same way.. $20 a gallon in Walmart and $35 in AutoZone and Advance. I don't believe they are carry it anymore.

Yep. The thickest 5W30s I've seen from VOA results are:
Mobil 1 EP High Mileage 11.6
Kirkland Full Synthetic 11.6
Supertech Advanced Full Synthetic 11.5

It's not always that VOAs line up with published specs. A recent one that's been talked about on here is Mobil 1 0W20 phosphorus and zinc levels. If the results of this VOA are accurate, then Quaker State may be overstating their viscosity for this oil. There's really no practical way to know for sure, but if multiple oil analyses give similar results, (as was the case for M1 0W20), that would increase the confidence level of these results.
I sent a sample that was purchased at Walmart last week out for a virgin test. It went to ALS tribololgy in Ohio. I’ll post to compare when I get the email.

I sent a sample that was purchased at Walmart last week out for a virgin test. It went to ALS tribololgy in Ohio. I’ll post to compare when I get the email.
Looks pretty darn close to the PDS to me. Looks like a good product. This is a current analysis done by ALS.
BFC313AA-BAD3-44EC-8E91-50E773F918C1.jpg

I'm running the 10W30 in a 5W20 fuel diluter ford this Spring - running great so far. NO noticable cold start and warm-up issue with some starts around 4deg C Have noticed no oil level change.
I would look at the QSFS 10W30.
Thick KV100 not important - HTHS more important. Lower VM% is more important.
must be good basestock as QS is showing a pour point of -54 deg C./CCS 4130

-ken

I'm running the 10W30 in a 5W20 fuel diluter ford this Spring - running great so far. NO noticable cold start and warm-up issue with some starts around 4deg C Have noticed no oil level change.
I would look at the QSFS 10W30.
Thick KV100 not important - HTHS more important. Lower VM% is more important.
must be good basestock as QS is showing a pour point of -54 deg C./CCS 4130

-ken
Do you know the HTHS? I called and the said it was proprietary. 10w30 doesn’t always have a lower HTHS. Usually but not always. I’d like to know what the numbers are.

Do you know the HTHS? I called and the said it was proprietary. 10w30 doesn’t always have a lower HTHS. Usually but not always. I’d like to know what the numbers are.
No I do not see that on the datasheet. It is an API-SP Resource Conserving so as you mentioned the HTHS may be only modestly higher than the 5W30.

It surely doesn't drive like a 10W30 in my 5W20 rated engine that I have experienced in the past in other small engine cars.
So we are left with VM in all likelyhood being a lower % which is a good thing for durability and cleaner operation

So far it appears to be doing a MUCH better job in my D.I. application than the Castrol Edge 5W20. Time will tell if it is better than a previously used- and stellar - Valvoline Advanced.

- Ken

i use the 10-30 flavor formerly ultimate durability now full synthetic in my 2011 fronty 4.0 + girlfriends 2018 kia optima 2.4 NA works for us at a decent price of $21.48 this week. less VII than a 5-30 + starts fine in Pa winters. i might add that most any of todays fake synthetics would do for most drivers, i refer the thicker oil film from higher viscosity oil + believe timely changes depending on driving habits with a NEW filter is most important IMO!!!

Last edited:
Thanks to the OP and mpgo4th for posting the VOA's!

I just switched from Supertech to this oil for the price. Now that Supertech appears to be priced the way it is... I noticed I could get Quaker State for less and it's a great oil. I don't know why I haven't selected this before? Always used it years ago... 10w-30 flavor for my Buick.

It's also a GTL based oil which has some advantages, not to get technical. I hope they keep it around.

Thanks to the OP and mpgo4th for posting the VOA's!

I just switched from Supertech to this oil for the price. Now that Supertech appears to be priced the way it is... I noticed I could get Quaker State for less and it's a great oil. I don't know why I haven't selected this before? Always used it years ago... 10w-30 flavor for my Buick.

It's also a GTL based oil which has some advantages, not to get technical. I hope they keep it around.
You are welcome. Got any suggestions for future testing?

You are welcome. Got any suggestions for future testing?
I would suggest an oil but primarily, it's going to be your less expensive options. (Which i believe have been tested.)

Since I use the 10w-30 grade in all my vehicles, I'm also assuming the previous testing of the 5w-30 oils to be sufficient.

Perhaps it's been already discussed in another thread, but I'd like to know the additive differences in the Supertech lineup. (10k vs. 20k formula)

This is one of the reasons I've switched to QSFS...

Thanks again!

i use the 10-30 flavor formerly ultimate durability now full synthetic in my 2011 fronty 4.0 + girlfriends 2018 kia optima 2.4 NA works for us at a decent price of $21.48 this week. less VII than a 5-30 + starts fine in Pa winters. i might add that most any of todays fake synthetics would do for most drivers, i refer the thicker oil film from higher viscosity oil + believe timely changes depending on driving habits with a NEW filter is most important IMO!!!
I have a '12 Frontier and just bought 2 jugs of the 5W-30 today. No start up noise in any temp with the 10W flavor? I got 5W since winter is coming soon here in Michigan. I understand that less VII in the 10w is desirable, but wondering if it'll really make a difference in my truck. I usually change the oil between 4 and 5k, and always use Wix filters. Current fill is Magnatec (RIP) 5W-30 and Wix. Not one issue.

Back