Quad Runs rich suddenly?

Yes there is an off, I've not been using it, been lazy. Just ordered a float and will wait for that to come in. Once it warms up a bit maybe I'll yank the carb and check it out, it was like +1F this morning so I'm even less motivated to work on it right now. :)
Yes, I know what you mean. I needed to switch the blower belt on my old snow blower for the pond rink, I put it off until it snowed and then fixing it was the easier option than clearing by hand.:LOL:

Yes, I know what you mean. I needed to switch the blower belt on my old snow blower for the pond rink, I put it off until it snowed and then fixing it was the easier option than clearing by hand.:LOL:
Darn it! That was the other thing I needed to buy, the belt gave out on my Ariens. Thank you for reminding me!

Messed with it again, replaced the choke cable, while I wait for parts. No change. However it idles really well? but will bog down in gear if I don't feather it and then get the revs up in time. but when it's idling good, it can be gunned. Starting to get pretty stumped on it.

Foot of snowing coming on Mon night, and I'm sure it's only 2 weeks for the parts to come...

Float came, along with the choke needle (?). Swapped in and no change.

It will idle ok, but put it into gear and it bogs down, and then takes forever to start--I should pull the plug when that happens and see what is going on, didn't think of that until now (plus it's kinda cold outside right now). If I keep it rev'd up and use super low gear I could get it to move a bit.

Starting to worry that it is the diaphragm, that is like a $200 part... yikes. Well worth it if it was that, but all the same, pricey.

Wouldn't be so bad but neither of the belts I bought for the snowblower were the correct ones! Time to order yet more belts... sheesh.

Sounds more like starving for gas now. Have to crank for a long time to refill the bowl.

When you hit the gas, does it go for a few seconds then slow down?

In neutral, it revs like it should. Drop into gear and it wants to quit, unless if the revs are up, then it sounds like it's missing, hitting on every other, something really weird. I'll see if I can pull the plug and look today, it's parked in a snowbank at the moment.

Messed with it the last couple of weekends. I bought an electric pump so as to bypass the fuel pump; found out that the cheap pump I bought won't prime if it's above fuel level. Oops. Also learned that when you buy cheap fuel line, you get cheap results: the line I put in a year ago split and is now too short to be reused; it's gone stiff and I bet it'll be fun to replace. [Sidebar: to pull the gas tank on this quad the manual says to start by removing the engine. No joke!]

Today was nice so I dug into it again. Pump below tank, rigged up, verified that the original pump worked just fine. Still flooding out. This time I found a wet plug and that fuel was coming out of the carb vent, which indicated that the float was set wrong. Pulled it out, reset float and... it's still bad, not as bad as the plug stays dry, but still too rich. Not sure if I will pull the carb apart again to reset or if I will try to fix the fuel line first (maybe the electric pump has too much umph in this setup?).

Sun came out today, so I messed with it again. Long story short, I think I have it "fixed":

This carb has a float, needle and seat. The seat is replaceable, and it uses an o-ring. These o-rings can dry out (it's mentioned in the service manual) and mine was dried out. I suspect that was the initial problem: the o-ring shrunk in cold weather enough that it just kept flooding out.

Then when I rebuilt the carb I put the main jet needle in wrong--there was a piece I put in wrong, and it was not being pushed down properly I think--I found this mistake today, fixed it to no change (see next problem) so I'm not positive this was a problem. But it surely did not help.

Last weekend I tried to adjust the float up and down, as I noticed that gas kept coming out of the carb, one of the orifices (not sure which one, might have been for air). Figured the level was wrong, but just would not respond properly, and then it got cold outside.

Of course the cheapo fuel line I bought failed, and a couple weekends ago I tried to use an electric pump as a quick hack to bypass everything, as nothing made sense (too much fuel? too little? initially I was not sure). Today it dawned on me: despite being a small pump, perhaps the needle was being overwhelmed. Rigged up the original system and... it idles and moves and runs more or less like it should.

Of course, I lost a screw to the float bowl, the throttle cable won't seat properly, I couldn't route the choke cable properly and I have to figure out how to replace the fuel line, then I can fix the ignition wiring that I cut apart... One failure fixed, three more knucklehead fixes left to go.

[I put part 4 under part 5, so I think jet needle 6 was hanging up.]
carb.PNG

Hmmm, glad mine has fuel injection.
I remember a time when people would have said "I don't want nuthin' with that new fangled stuff! ya can't repair it with a screwdriver and a hammer."

Heck I still say that today!

With part 4 below part 5 the spring (which engages part 4) doesn't push down on the needle. The needle can ride up when there's no vacuum on the diaphragm. The needle and slide are supposed to move as a unit. So I'd expect it to run really poorly especially at idle.

Overfilling the bowl is a separate problem, which you also solved. So now look forward to a great summer of ATV riding.

Back