Purolator One PL10241 - cut open

2005 Tundra 89800 miles, 5300 mileage on the filter and oil. Unknown oil brand & weight, was over half a quart low.

WjQOMGK.jpg

6y8hQ5M.jpg

FROicy0.jpg

SuEE6Wb.jpg

J1oq2lS.jpg

WkgLA4f.jpg

O2aEHB3.jpg

SWQYekS.jpg

QvfZepV.jpg

mppV39h.jpg

0WgWrsm.jpg

Doesn't look awful. I remember when these were the darling of BITOG.. I just don't understand why they pleats are always so wavy... Thanks for the C&P.
Yea, the wavy pleats are throwing me for a loop, haven't seen that before. Otherwise it looked ok -- no cuts or tears in the media, the louvers were good.

Yea, the wavy pleats are throwing me for a loop, haven't seen that before. Otherwise it looked ok -- no cuts or tears in the media, the louvers were good.
Wavy pleats show up on a lot of filters that are cut open and shown here. As long as the media doesn't tear, it shouldn't make any difference, except visually.

That's interesting. I've never seen that before. They glue the filter element to a plastic disc and then have a detachable metal cap.

That's interesting. I've never seen that before. They glue the filter element to a plastic disc and then have a detachable metal cap.
What you are seeing that looks like a "plastic disc" is the black potting material that was once adhered to the metal end cap. This has been a "Purolator thing" (the metal end cap pops off the potting material) for many years.

Notice that the end cap with the bypass valve is still inside the can at the dome end in this shot the OP posted.

1697828950346.jpg

ah, that makes sense. It may even be some other material, other than plastic, on the plate that sets into the dome metal. Almost like a end plate within an end plate.

ah, that makes sense. It may even be some other material, other than plastic, on the plate that sets into the dome metal. Almost like a end plate within an end plate.
It's the black potting material used on both end caps. The end caps are suppose to be firmly adhered to the media pleat ends by that black potting material/"glue", just like any other oil filter with metal end caps. Have also seen a few Motorcraft filters that "pop" an end cap just like this one did.

It's the black potting material used on both end caps. The end caps are suppose to be firmly adhered to the media pleat ends by that black potting material/"glue", just like any other oil filter with metal end caps. Have also seen a few Motorcraft filters that "pop" an end cap just like this one did.
The cartridge filter media I cut up today was melted into the end plates. I'll peal out the end caps out of the trash tomorrow to get a pic of what I saw today. It's probably the same as your talking about except mine don't use any other end cap.

The cartridge filter media I cut up today was melted into the end plates. I'll peal out the end caps out of the trash tomorrow to get a pic of what I saw today. It's probably the same as your talking about except mine don't use any other end cap.
On the OP's Purolator, the potting material isn't melted, it's a thick liquid that dries hard. It's essentially a thick liquid glue.

I wondered when what's been called "endcap popper" mentioned here. I reference (and fwiw agree with) what Jim Allen said about the phenomenon many years ago. He said, "If the potting material stays intact, then spring pressure is enough to seal the metal to it and there is no bypass." What I can see, looks to be the case here, clean cap potting area, no broken potting material. So while popper not preferable, I don't believe bypass a concern here. As an aside, used many Puro made filters mostly 14610 and equivalents, never found a popper with dissection. Maybe lucky, but as long as similar to topic condition, wouldn't be a concern for me.

Also, don't see evidence or mention of adbv cuts, good with this application filter.

Looks like filter did its job. Thanks for c&p.

Back