Purolator ONE Blue Can: is it really that bad?

Just to make sure I'm on the same page, I'm just making it harder on myself by calling it "Purolator ONE" instead of "PureOne"? 😗 But we're talking about the same thing?
Yes we're both talking about the Purolator Ones that are now in the blue can. They used to be in a yellow can and called PureOnes, the shorter name stuck for some

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 6
I'm not currently using Purolator filters but, I've also never had an issue with any of them. And after hearing all of the horror stories(tearing), I've cut all of my used Puro filter open after an OCI and they've all looked just fine.
I've used the Purolator's since before 2010 still have never found one that has tore on me.

True in my opinion. Purolator Pureone blue can filter media has been looking an awful lot like Wix and or Napa Gold filter media. . A whole lot like it. I believe they put Wix filter media in the Purolator Pureone filters for the last year or so.
Regular WIX and Purolator ONE have different media efficiency, so can't be the same exact media.

Regular WIX and Purolator ONE have different media efficiency, so can't be the same exact media.
If you contact M&H support, they will tell you the purolator one is not 99% at 20 but rather 99% at 24/25 micron. I’d put money on it that it’s the same media in some applications.

If you contact M&H support, they will tell you the purolator one is not 99% at 20 but rather 99% at 24/25 micron. I’d put money on it that it’s the same media in some applications.
Well, either the M&H support people don't have accurate info, or the Purolator website is showing wrong info because it does say 99% @ 20u for the Purolator ONE.

Well, either the M&H support people don't have accurate info, or the Purolator website is showing wrong info because it does say 99% @ 20u for the Purolator ONE.
I’ve contacted them twice and got the same info. I even posted it on here.

Pictures of Wix and the Purolator One filter media look exactly..... A like.

For about the last year and a bit over that time frame.

I posted a picture on here of each and it looked the exact same. Very close filter sizes too.

The woopty Doo older Purolator One filter media from 2 plus years ago did not look like Wix filter media. It's noticeably thinner and prone to being wavy.

Wix filter media in the 57356 always looked thicker and way better than Purolator One filter media.

Now in the last bit of time.... Purolator One and even Carquest premium filter media looks like the Wix filter media.

Last edited:
I've been using the Champ XL filters from Rockauto and been happy with them and they are very reasonably priced. If you are wanting the "best" for your vehicle that can be subjective but it's hard to dispute the Fram Ultra as being a top notch filter. It is the only Fram I will ever consider using.

Here's a Wix Napa Gold 7356 filter vs a Carquest premium blue filter with the older thinner PureOne filter media.

That older filter media is thinner vs newer Purolator Pureone filter media.

The newer Purolator Pureone filter here has thicker filter media vs the older filter media. Same exact filter size in those two.

The two filter pictures here with very dark looking filter media came off my car aka Nissan Altima VQ from 2016. It was a Purolator One blue filter from that time. That filter media was definitely thinner vs Wix filter media from that time frame.

Attachments

• P1020358.JPG
    P1020358.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 0405222050c_HDR.jpg
    0405222050c_HDR.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 24
  • P1020276.JPG
    P1020276.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20160920_170602799.jpg
    IMG_20160920_170602799.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20160920_170625791.jpg
    IMG_20160920_170625791.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
So folks, I have to level with you. I'm getting filter fatigue.

What I mean by that, is finding units that hasn't been cost cut, cheapened, or absorbed by another company and then cost cut and cheapened. Furthermore, it's getting increasingly difficult to find a specific "brand and flavor" of oil filter. In my case, I've been searching for a particular Donaldson spin on lube filter that's been on national back order for months now. I've contacted the company directly and gotten a fulfillment date, which has come and gone, with the filter still on national back order. For good measure, I've called heavy truck supply shops around town, even fleet management services, and it's no dice.

I want to give my vehicle the best, but my energy and patience are wearing thin. Maybe some of you can commiserate, I'm sure you all have your own challenges.

While I was waiting for that national back order to straighten out, I missed out on some cheap WIX filters that are now double the price. Meanwhile my local Menards is still offering the mid-tier Purolator ONE blue cans, allegedly good for 10,000 miles, for a pretty fair price. It hasn't changed yet either. I'm seriously thinking about just biting the bullet and getting some. And frankly, that's probably overdramatizing the situation, it's not like my engine will immediately explode if I put one of these on. I've done my homework, checked all relevant videos from Whip City Wrencher, and it looks like a pretty decent filter. In fact, it looks as good, or maybe better, than the Mobil 1 M212-A I currently have on, and for almost just 1/3 the price.

The "Tear-o-Lator" boogie man, I think, is likely just that. But the playing ground of all these filters has leveled off, so maybe it doesn't matter as much anymore. The blue can has good filtration numbers, decent construction it appears, and seems a good value. Even though the Boss is built like a brick outhouse, I don't really like the filtration numbers on it. I'm in an odd spot where I'm doing a shorter OCI in terms of mileage (~4-5,000) but a longer duration (annual). What do you say folks? Am I on the right track?
I’d say decidedly not. By your own statement this filter situation is eating your lunch. Buy one of the higher end filters like the Ultra, Purolator One, etc. then stop worrying and move on about life. Or go OEM from the dealer then stop worrying and move on about life.

Either way you’re letting this hold more weight than it should.

Interesting. Do you recall how long ago that was and how long the OCI was? I believe the ONEs have a silicone ADBV.

Thanks for the link. Yikes, that's pretty unnerving. It's not really a scientific assessment on my part, but that silicone ADBV looks like virtually any other. Maybe it was a flawed unit in the run, but hard to say.

Should have asked why they don't update the Purolator website. A wrong answer can be given over and over too ... just sayin'.
You are always welcome to email or call and ask them. In actuality, we will truly will never know the actual efficiency with this M&H take over.

You are always welcome to email or call and ask them. In actuality, we will truly will never know the actual efficiency with this M&H take over.
It was rhetorical ... i don't plan to use any Purolator filters so don't really want to dig into it with them unless I get really bored, lol. Yep, who knows what kind of moves M+H/Purolator is making, they might not even know what they are doing.

Thanks for the link. Yikes, that's pretty unnerving. It's not really a scientific assessment on my part, but that silicone ADBV looks like virtually any other. Maybe it was a flawed unit in the run, but hard to say.
That is the dreaded attack of the non-deburred base plate-the sharp edges left on the inside from when the punch press made the oval holes chew through the ADBV. An unfortunately common Mann & Hummel "feature"...:mad:

Back