Purolator ONE Blue Can: is it really that bad?

So folks, I have to level with you. I'm getting filter fatigue.

What I mean by that, is finding units that hasn't been cost cut, cheapened, or absorbed by another company and then cost cut and cheapened. Furthermore, it's getting increasingly difficult to find a specific "brand and flavor" of oil filter. In my case, I've been searching for a particular Donaldson spin on lube filter that's been on national back order for months now. I've contacted the company directly and gotten a fulfillment date, which has come and gone, with the filter still on national back order. For good measure, I've called heavy truck supply shops around town, even fleet management services, and it's no dice.

I want to give my vehicle the best, but my energy and patience are wearing thin. Maybe some of you can commiserate, I'm sure you all have your own challenges.

While I was waiting for that national back order to straighten out, I missed out on some cheap WIX filters that are now double the price. Meanwhile my local Menards is still offering the mid-tier Purolator ONE blue cans, allegedly good for 10,000 miles, for a pretty fair price. It hasn't changed yet either. I'm seriously thinking about just biting the bullet and getting some. And frankly, that's probably overdramatizing the situation, it's not like my engine will immediately explode if I put one of these on. I've done my homework, checked all relevant videos from Whip City Wrencher, and it looks like a pretty decent filter. In fact, it looks as good, or maybe better, than the Mobil 1 M212-A I currently have on, and for almost just 1/3 the price.

The "Tear-o-Lator" boogie man, I think, is likely just that. But the playing ground of all these filters has leveled off, so maybe it doesn't matter as much anymore. The blue can has good filtration numbers, decent construction it appears, and seems a good value. Even though the Boss is built like a brick outhouse, I don't really like the filtration numbers on it. I'm in an odd spot where I'm doing a shorter OCI in terms of mileage (~4-5,000) but a longer duration (annual). What do you say folks? Am I on the right track?

So folks, I have to level with you. I'm getting filter fatigue.

What I mean by that, is finding units that hasn't been cost cut, cheapened, or absorbed by another company and then cost cut and cheapened. Furthermore, it's getting increasingly difficult to find a specific "brand and flavor" of oil filter. In my case, I've been searching for a particular Donaldson spin on lube filter that's been on national back order for months now. I've contacted the company directly and gotten a fulfillment date, which has come and gone, with the filter still on national back order. For good measure, I've called heavy truck supply shops around town, even fleet management services, and it's no dice.

I want to give my vehicle the best, but my energy and patience are wearing thin. Maybe some of you can commiserate, I'm sure you all have your own challenges.

While I was waiting for that national back order to straighten out, I missed out on some cheap WIX filters that are now double the price. Meanwhile my local Menards is still offering the mid-tier Purolator ONE blue cans, allegedly good for 10,000 miles, for a pretty fair price. It hasn't changed yet either. I'm seriously thinking about just biting the bullet and getting some. And frankly, that's probably overdramatizing the situation, it's not like my engine will immediately explode if I put one of these on. I've done my homework, checked all relevant videos from Whip City Wrencher, and it looks like a pretty decent filter. In fact, it looks as good, or maybe better, than the Mobil 1 M212-A I currently have on, and for almost just 1/3 the price.

The "Tear-o-Lator" boogie man, I think, is likely just that. But the playing ground of all these filters has leveled off, so maybe it doesn't matter as much anymore. The blue can has good filtration numbers, decent construction it appears, and seems a good value. Even though the Boss is built like a brick outhouse, I don't really like the filtration numbers on it. I'm in an odd spot where I'm doing a shorter OCI in terms of mileage (~4-5,000) but a longer duration (annual). What do you say folks? Am I on the right track?
The new pureones are good for 15,000 miles. And are 99% at 20 or 24 microns (Depending on your source). The most recent cut open blue pure ones have not revealed any defects. Since they changed the media when going to 15k ocis, the tearing has not been prevalent in the pureones.
The pureone is a better filter than mobil one when look at efficiency. I've recently used a few newer pure ones (also bought from menards) and have a cut and post of one. Looked pretty good to me.

The "tear-o-lator" applied to the classic red cans and the Motorcraft FL-820s in particular, but it seems that they have since resolved the issue. I haven't seen an issue with Purolators in quite a while.

I just picked up a PureOne yesterday for one of my cars, definitely a hidden value as long as the center tube louvers look fine.

The "tear-o-lator" applied to the classic red cans and the Motorcraft FL-820s in particular, but it seems that they have since resolved the issue. I haven't seen an issue with Purolators in quite a while.

I just picked up a PureOne yesterday for one of my cars, definitely a hidden value as long as the center tube louvers look fine.
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, I'm just making it harder on myself by calling it "Purolator ONE" instead of "PureOne"? 😗 But we're talking about the same thing?

OP, OCD much? You would :poop: yourself if you knew what I am planning on doing! …but I’ll tell you anyway! I just received a Fram EG 3506, { $3.88 from Amazon } for my Chevy 5.3, and plan on running it for 2 OCI’s!:eek:……I know..right?

OP, OCD much? You would :poop: yourself if you knew what I am planning on doing! …but I’ll tell you anyway! I just received a Fram EG 3506, { $3.88 from Amazon } for my Chevy 5.3, and plan on running it for 2 OCI’s!:eek:……I know..right?
I don't dispute that I'm clinically OCD, but you have to admit at least a handful of us here are too. :ROFLMAO:

I've been inside that engine and rebuilt the valvetrain, swapped out the oil cooler, installed a spin-on filter adapter, no way I'm screwing around with some sub-par oil filter... ;)

I just used a pureone,pl10111. 4 months, 3,308 miles. Used 2005 am soil xl5w30 synrhetic. Cut it open.it looked very well made. But the media tore off kinda easily using a small screwdriver too remove it from center tube. It held up well,no tears in media,cutting it open. No complaints. I believe the media was rated 99%@20 microns, their micro if filtration advertising days! Now I think its 99%@26/27 microns. Read that other night.their website does not post, at what microns.just 99% particle removal.

I just used a pureone,pl10111. 4 months, 3,308 miles. Used 2005 am soil xl5w30 synrhetic. Cut it open.it looked very well made. But the media tore off kinda easily using a small screwdriver too remove it from center tube. It held up well,no tears in media,cutting it open. No complaints. I believe the media was rated 99%@20 microns, their micro if filtration advertising days! Now I think its 99%@26/27 microns. Read that other night.their website does not post, at what microns.just 99% particle removal.
The Purolator ONE is still rated 99% @ 20μ. You have to look at the bottom of the website page asterisk flagnote for that detail.

*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001

I'm not currently using Purolator filters but, I've also never had an issue with any of them. And after hearing all of the horror stories(tearing), I've cut all of my used Puro filter open after an OCI and they've all looked just fine.

Wix/Purolator starting to become the same filters now for the most part.

True in my opinion. Purolator Pureone blue can filter media has been looking an awful lot like Wix and or Napa Gold filter media. . A whole lot like it. I believe they put Wix filter media in the Purolator Pureone filters for the last year or so.

Back