purolater being bought by bosch

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArvinMeritor to sell filter unit to Bosch, Mann

Reuters

Automotive News / February 23, 2006 - 4:00 pm

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Parts maker ArvinMeritor Inc. on Thursday said it agreed to sell its Purolator filters business in North America to the Bosch Group and the Mann+Hummel Group.

Terms of the transaction were not disclosed. ArvinMeritor said Purolator no longer fits the company's long-term strategy. Its sale is part of ArvinMeritor's previously announced plan to divest its light-vehicle aftermarket businesses individually.

ArvinMeritor said Bosch and Mann+Hummel intend to operate Purolator as a joint venture. Purolator is based in Fayetteville, N.C., and has operations in Salt Lake City and Brentwood, Tenn. It employs more than 1,000 people, ArvinMeritor said.

ArvinMeritor Inc. ranks No. 19 on the Automotive News list of the top 100 global suppliers with estimated fiscal year worldwide original-equipment automotive parts sales of $7.07 billion in 2004.

So would it follow that American Bosch oil filters will eventually be produced by re-birthed Purolator? On the other hand, the press release's wording doesn't close the door on Arvin-Meritor's involvement with supplying their auto manufacturer clients, just the aftermarket end. Given that, maybe American Bosch will begin selling "Purolator" branded Champion Labs products domestically at parts and discount stores near you. The mind boggles at the prospect of "eek"-core PureONEs...
grin.gif

Hopefully Bosch will just use Purolator for their North American supplier and keep the design.

I think we can rule that out since Bosch will own the Purolator name upon completion of the deal and Arvin-Meritor wants to exit the aftermarket business entirely. (If Arvin-Meritor continues contracting product to Bosch, that wouldn't exactly be an exit from aftermarket work, would it?) Nor is there any indication either way that Arvin-Meritor's oil filter technology would transfer to Bosch. Since the press release was carefully crafted to exlain zero details, it's entirely too early to tell just what will really end up happening once the dust settles. For all anybody knows, we could also end up getting Mann-Hummel filter technology made domestically under the Purolator name, too. (Don't nobody up and go shoot himself over this press release, yet.
wink.gif
)

Why does this make one want to avoid Purolator int he future? I'm probably over reacting here but still.

I guess as Ray H said, we won't really know, While it's unlikely nothing will change, the wording of the press release makes it seem that they are not just buying the name, but the manufactoring as well.

Those of us who like Purolator filters just as they are will probably be picking up a few to stockpile.
wink.gif

-T

Many Volvo and VW/Audi users have nothing but Mann filters, and they are the highest quality. Let's hope they bring their quality with them.

Ken

It's not like Mann is going to rip out all of Purolators equipment and put in new stuff.

So don't expect any changes anytime soon, other than some cosmetics, like a new paint scheme or logo.

Mann/Bosch filters in Europe have lower efficiencies than aftermarket filters in the USA. If anything, Purolator might go to the thicker style media used by Mann/Bosch which will improve the "look" of the internal filter when cut open. But that might take some time to accomplish. At least 6 months. ( based on purchasing contracts and releases of media)

To early to tell. Any merger will market a product based on profit. That is usually why companies merge, to make the one entity stronger with increased production, expanded market share, and more physical inventory on the bottom line. I can see Purolator filters being rebadged Bosch,(if they continue to market with the Puro name - and probably would, based on name recogition and following) and vice versa, based on what plant they are made in, similar to some AC's being domestic, and some Mehican. Or a Champ from Illinois, you get the picture. WE at BITOG know what we're getting... I'll still open every box and make a choice at the retail level, based on what I see, and input from the experts on the board.

[ February 28, 2006, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: beanoil ]

The only price overlap is PureOne and Bosch Premium. So we either get a thick can PureOne for more $ or Bosch with PureOne media to take over the Mobil1 higher price point. My guess is one of those two goes away or one gets improved and costs more. I'm glad I bought 2 Pure Ones at Pepboys for $3.

No one has asked yet, is this just the oil filter business that has been sold or the air filter as well?

How are bosch's oil filters? What ive read online is they are pretty good...not Pureone good, but still decent. I think pureone was rated for 10um while the bosch premium was rated at 15um.

news story dated 5/29/2006.......

Auto parts maker ArvinMeritor has followed through on its promise to divest parts of its business and has agreed to sell its Purolator filter unit to The Bosch Group and Mann+Hummel.
The deal is expected to take force April 1, 2006 and will be operated as a 50/50 joint venture for the two German companies.
The acquisition covers all Purolator oil, air, fuel and cabin filters. At its site in Fayetteville, North Carolina, Purolator produces filters for both the OE and aftermarket sectors, and at its site in Salt Lake City, Utah, it maintains a small distribution centre. In Canada, the business is managed out of the same facility that handles ArvinMeritor's Gabriel and Maremont businesses.
In 2005, Purolator recorded sales of $267 million U.S. The acquisition is subject to approval by the relevant authorities.
The divestiture follows an earlier announement by ArvinMeritor that it would be seeking to sell its Light Vehicle Aftermarket businesses piecemeal over the remainder of 2006.
"Expanding our filter business is an integral part of our growth strategy in the Automotive Aftermarket Division," says Peter Tyroller, Bosch Board of Management member. "In acquiring the Purolator filter business, we are significantly improving our market position in the NAFTA region."
"With Purolator, we are closing our strategic gap, as far as filtration facilities in North America are concerned. We have been extending our activities specifically in this region since 1997," said Dr. Dieter Seipler, CEO of Mann+Hummel. "For Mann+Hummel, Purolator perfectly complements our business in North America in the OE sector and in the independent aftermarket."
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back