Purified vs. Distilled water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purified could be anything, most likely a filtering of some type.

Distilled is water that is boiled, then condensed. It's the most pure water you can get.

For something like a radiator or lead battery, distilled is the only way to go. Purified is drinking water.

How about water that has been though reverse osmosis? I have plenty of purified water and I used purifed water in my vehicles radiator. Is it bad?

Originally Posted By: MarkC
You don't want to drink a great deal of distilled water for a long time.

Why is that?

Distilled or soft water while good for scale is much harder on metals as far as corrosion goes less stuff desolved in the water the more active it is.

What about the people depending on desalinized sea water?

Dist. water much better for raditor and battery. No minerals in dist. so far less build up of deposites.

I really don't think there is a problem with it. We have been drinking 100% RO water for30 years which is about the same thing.
[/hyjack]

Last edited:
Distilled water is great for drinking. Nothing wrong with it and very easily absorbed. A lot of athletes will drink distilled water. I do not understand why people think its bad to drink.

We human being take in more than just the water we drink. Even if you drink only distilled / RO / DI water, you still eat food with lots of minerals, and the body will keep them in a balance.

Unless you have a kidney problem.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Distilled water is great for drinking. Nothing wrong with it and very easily absorbed. A lot of athletes will drink distilled water. I do not understand why people think its bad to drink.

The reason some think it's bad is because IF you didn't brush your teeth, and IF you didn't eat well, you wouldn't get those needed nutrients and fluoride that comes in tap water that could help you out.

The internet is a great medium for kooks to spread junk science. Sorry, doc, I am a chemist, and the difference in distilled and tap water isn't enough to make near the difference you suggest. Tap water is seldom anyways near saturated with anything and will adsorb about as much as regular tap water.

You're a chemist, bravo.
1233_hand_clapping.gif

I suggested nothing, I posted a link.

I'm just trying to figure out how your being a "chemist" gives you any more credibility than the person who wrote that article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back