Puretalk

The sucky thing about some of the budget providers that ride on the back of the big carriers is that they don't offer spam blocking. Some carriers are better than others.

The sucky thing about some of the budget providers that ride on the back of the big carriers is that they don't offer spam blocking. Some carriers are better than others.

Yeah that sucks. The iPhone offers any built in spam blocking?

The sucky thing about some of the budget providers that ride on the back of the big carriers is that they don't offer spam blocking.
Turn on "Block unknown callers" and the spam problem is solved. I enable this feature on my phone and literally haven't gotten a spam call in years.

Turn on "Block unknown callers" and the spam problem is solved. I enable this feature on my phone and literally haven't gotten a spam call in years.
They usually spoof phone numbers.. but IIRC a majority gets blocked at the provider level now.

They usually spoof phone numbers
Yep and if you the number isn't in your phone book and/or you haven't made a call to that number in the previous 30 days, then the call gets sent to voice mail.
a majority gets blocked at the provider level now
Carriers are not allowed to block calls all calls must be passed through their networks. Yes, even if the carrier knows the call is from a low reputation source, they still are legally required to allow the call.

Even for SIP calls that have a SHAKEN/STIR Gateway Attestation, which is the lowest level, carriers have to pass the call. The endpoint must decide to accept or decline the call based on heuristics, reputation, or SHAKEN/STIR attestation.

Have you looked into Redpocket ? They have plans that fit your needs . Why pay for unlimited everything if you dont need it .

Screenshot 2023-12-09 at 14-54-46 Wireless Unlimited Data Plans - Red Pocket Mobile.jpg

Have you looked into Redpocket ? They have plans that fit your needs . Why pay for unlimited everything if you dont need it .

View attachment 192234
I had red pocket awhile back 1st on the cdma sprint network using an iPhone 4s in 2019/20 everything was great. I moved to an unlocked android on the gsma network and wasn’t happy once I hit my data cap I was expecting slower data speeds but found out I had to purchase additional high speed data also I didn’t have visual vm had to pay an additional $1 or so for it just seemed tacky.

So I have no experience with Puretalk but I have a lot of experience with MVNOs in general; Visible, Cricket, Xfinity, Redpocket, US Mobile, Straighttalk and a few others. The one big thing that all of them lack is security. I was victim to 2 SIM swap attacks where a perp contacted my carrier and got a new eSIM issued out. They subsequently attempted to do password resets with my banks and email addresses. Luckily I caught both attacks quick enough to avoid any monetary loss. I switched over to T-Mobile because of their recent requirement to show ID at a store prior to insurance of a new SIM or eSIM; as a bonus I’ve noticed a complete drop off of spam texts and calls.

I had Pure Talk and it worked OK for me. I had Pure Talk and my wife had the Walmart service. I had better coverage than she did.

So I have no experience with Puretalk but I have a lot of experience with MVNOs in general; Visible, Cricket, Xfinity, Redpocket, US Mobile, Straighttalk and a few others. The one big thing that all of them lack is security. I was victim to 2 SIM swap attacks where a perp contacted my carrier and got a new eSIM issued out. They subsequently attempted to do password resets with my banks and email addresses. Luckily I caught both attacks quick enough to avoid any monetary loss. I switched over to T-Mobile because of their recent requirement to show ID at a store prior to insurance of a new SIM or eSIM; as a bonus I’ve noticed a complete drop off of spam texts and calls.
This is well said

I had Pure Talk and it worked OK for me. I had Pure Talk and my wife had the Walmart service. I had better coverage than she did.
Pure talk is att network Walmart is T-Mobile or at least used to be. Att and T-Mobile seem to be strong in my area vz is more spotty especially building coverage. I don’t have too much experience on 5G other than my wife and family. They all have 5G devices on T-Mobile and seems like it works ok for them.

Back