Pur One PL14459 Cut Open Quality Issue?

This one had an excessive drain back issue. I’ll explain below. Off A 1989 Mitsubishi 2.6L 101k miles. Filter only on a few weeks. Running 5w-30 Valvoline LLiii. Date code hard to read - could be F09N17B1. Sourced from RA. This replaced a TG3950.

After installing this filter I noticed engine had cold start cam chain rattle after only sitting a couple hours. Had rattle with the Fram, but car would need to sit overnight For it to occur. I put a new TG Fram back on and it went back to not rattling unless sitting about 24hr. Still not good but better than this Pur.

On filter disassembly I noticed almost no spring pressure of the filter against the baseplate. This seemed to cause ADV to have a poor seal against the baseplate. I put the filter and spring / combo valve Into an arbor press, and it took a lot of force to depress spring. Much more than the clamp up of the assembly had. Plus the assembly when “reassembled” caused no tension of the spring. Perhaps this was built with the wrong spring.

Other item I see is the bottom end cap is not glued to the filter body. Not sure this is a manufacturing error. I suppose when assembled the filter to end cap Seal is sufficient without adhesive?

I solved the start up rattle issue with a factory Mitsubishi (Micro Nippon) filter. I’ll write up about that on a separate cut open post.

FC52FEB7-0FC7-4758-8CF3-4188C0DE6521.jpeg

F676585C-8EB4-4851-AF99-232F97EACBD5.jpeg

250E8822-A341-4B19-AAAC-AD30A5D11FEE.jpeg

674AD0BC-64D6-4F32-B504-C45C7039BAF8.jpeg
A7A01D2E-F310-4A71-9C1E-C2B6FB7DD7D1.jpeg
136B60E5-1A31-4ACB-B4CF-A738F63712F9.jpeg

On filter disassembly I noticed almost no spring pressure of the filter against the baseplate. This seemed to cause ADV to have a poor seal against the baseplate. I put the filter and spring / combo valve Into an arbor press, and it took a lot of force to depress spring. Much more than the clamp up of the assembly had. Plus the assembly when “reassembled” caused no tension of the spring. Perhaps this was built with the wrong spring.
Did you happen to shake the filter before cutting it open? If it didn't rattle when shook, then the guts are probably tight and the leaf spring is doing its job. Not sure how you concluded the guts weren't tight enough after it was cut open.

Did you happen to shake the filter before cutting it open? If it didn't rattle when shook, then the guts are probably tight and the leaf spring is doing its job. Not sure how you concluded the guts weren't tight enough after it was cut open.
No rattle noticed, but zero tension on spring when assembled.

No rattle noticed, but zero tension on spring when assembled.
Those leaf springs are very stiff, so only a milimeter or two of deflection puts a lot of force on the guts of the filter. When you reassembled the filter and squeezed it back together by hand, could you make the two cut halves touch each other with zero squeezing hand force?

Those leaf springs are very stiff, so only a milimeter or two of deflection puts a lot of force on the guts of the filter. When you reassembled the filter and squeezed it back together by hand, could you make the two cut halves touch each other with zero squeezing hand force?
As I stated, when the filter is “reassembled”, the spring applies no pressure to the assembly. Can almost spin the ADV when clamped back up. Some part(S) of the assembly are either out of tolerance or the wrong components were used.

As I stated, when the filter is “reassembled”, the spring applies no pressure to the assembly. Can almost spin the ADV when clamped back up. Some part(S) of the assembly are either out of tolerance or the wrong components were used.
And you are pushing the two cut halves tightly together (with all the guts installed) so they contact each other at the cut line, and the guts are still loose?

Back