pulling the trigger on HID's in the Milan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine that a $29 kit is going to have much care taken for ballast design or rebasing the bulbs.

I'm considering trying a kit with a laser aligned debased HID Phillips bulb, at 4300K, and using Phillips Quartz glass as a uv shield just as a guinea pig. The reduced draw by 40W over a stock H11 is interesting, as is the greater light.

The key is the combination of the right Quartz glass to minimize uv output and damage to the light assembly, and the correct laser alignment of the capsule to the filament location of a H11. But these quality kits with low draw startup and quality ax waveforms and good rebased bulbs aren't $29. They're over $100.

I'm willing to guinea pig it because I like the added light and lower draw, and because Acura TL HID projectors directly swap into my light assemblies meaning that I can just put a Phillips D2S bulb in if need be and have a true setup in my car, if a quality rebase doesn't work.

Frankly I find anyone running overpowered bulbs or 65W H9 in H11 spots just as experimental and legally questionable. And heck, I guess the standard power e-codes I've run in many of my cars for over ten years are also experimental and not DOT compliant. I'm willing to try and see.

I do wish there was a low power, high output option for H4 bulbs besides the overdriven +130% type bulbs. I'd love to reduce draw on my old diesels. I may guinea pig a dual xenon H4 kit if I can find some quality bulbs, though e codes still scare me because they're reflector housings. I've seen some experiments where if a large shield is used under the bulb, it can be feasible. Might be a fun test if I have the hid ballasts already. Still I'd only go 4300K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back