PS leak, I cut the belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a steel line on the high pressure side rust out on my '08 Accent. I ordered a new line and it doesn't look to be impossible to change it though you never know. Would like to have a two day period to change.

But in the mean time I am driving with the belt cut off the pump. It's really not that hard to drive with no assist.

Will this damage the steering rack over time?

Sometimes with rusted-out brake lines with complex routing (obviously installed first at the factory), a mechanic will custom-bend new new lines and lay them overtop the other stuff. Can you, in similar fashion, run a high-pressure hose instead of spending a lot of time accessing the old line?

Originally Posted by Number_35
Sometimes with rusted-out brake lines with complex routing (obviously installed first at the factory), a mechanic will custom-bend new new lines and lay them overtop the other stuff. Can you, in similar fashion, run a high-pressure hose instead of spending a lot of time accessing the old line?

This is a good point. If it really hits the fan you can hacksaw the old line where it's rusty, hacksaw a piece of new line to match, and join them with compression fittings or flares. (They aren't brakes and the compression should fit fine)

I think you'll figure out the line routing just fine. Just disconnect your battery in case you poke your starter or something under there.

I'm waiting on the steel line. Should be here tomorrow or Monday. The ends of the pipe are hex fittings and the pump side is easy to get to with a hex to hold the line fitting with. The rack side is open but twill take a crows foot to tighten. Taking off will be easy if I cut the line and use a socket.

It really is not that hard to steer and I would rather wait until warmer weather to crawl under the car. And I am down to one car as I don't drive my other one in the winter. Don't want to get things all set up and then find out there are issues.

The new Hyundai part eliminates most of the steel line and uses a hose where the OE one rusted out.

On my Taurus when the line started leaking I used a brass compression fitting and a hose barb. Some steel reinforced hydraulic hose and hose clamps. This held up great with no leaks. It was very difficult to get the hose off the barb once the clamp had formed the steel braid to conform to the barb ridges.

I was going to do that again as the new Hyundai part is ~$200 but found this Gates aftermarket steel line for $30. Fits some sort of a Dodge too.

i was going to paint it with some POR15 paint I have.

The PS pump pulley on my old Isuzu Trooper would break often. I fixed it once but not the second time. Drove it without power pump working for a couple years. Other than parallel parking, it wasn't a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back