Pros and Cons to larger oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read a thread on the F150 site where a mechanic told a guy that an oil filter is an oil filter and using a larger than stock filter will do more harm than good(basically)

What would be the downside to using a larger oil filter?

What would be the benefits?

The only downside I can see is if the longer filter poses a risk to getting hit and punctured. Otherwise I have always tried to use a larger filter on all my cars. My reasoning is that the system can hold more oil (less stress on the oil) and the filter can hold more dirt so it's better for long drain intervals. Plus the filter goes into bypass mode less often, and flows more oil when cold and at high rpms.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
I'm still trying to figure how to determine which longer filters I can use for my vehicles.

You can use any if you go the route of a remote filter setup, the most common would be the Ford FL1 which is a huge filter I believe the largest for automotive use.

you can go to summitracing.com and look up several aftermarket filter relocation kits.

Moroso, Perma-Cool, T-D Performance, and Summit all make some type of kit

Aside from clearance issues and better chance for damage what possible problems could it cause to run a larger filter with the same valve setup as the smaller filer? Geez...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back