Proper way to UOA 3 different oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to compare 3 different oils in my truck. What's the proper protocol for that? I was thinking do 3K on X and Send it in, do 3K on Z and send it in and then 3k another Y and send it in. But I got 1 person on here saying that's not right or gonna tell me anything. so I wana know the proper way to UOA test 3 oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4runner:
I'd like to compare 3 different oils in my truck. What's the proper protocol for that? I was thinking do 3K on X and Send it in, do 3K on Z and send it in and then 3k another Y and send it in. But I got 1 person on here saying that's not right or gonna tell me anything. so I wana know the proper way to UOA test 3 oils.

If it was me I'd do the following;

Running #1 oil. Oil A. After the 2nd Oil change using that oil, do a UOA.

Then change to oil #2. Oil B. Use that 2 times and UOA.

Same with oil #3.

So, You want the first run with the different oil to sorta flush and UOA the 2nd one.

I'm confused..
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

A commonly accepted practice is to run a flushing oil, in between each run of oil that is tested/analyzed.

But my comment is why make the process so complicated if your goal is just to find an oil that performs well for your driving style and your engine?

Head over to the UOA forum & find the wear metal averages for your particular engine.

This establishes a baseline for any motor oils that you may decide to run a future UOA on.

i can't seem to find much in the UOA department. I have the 3.0 (3VZE) V6 Toyota motor used from 88-95 4runners and Pickups.

Well, use a simple search string such as "Toyota 3.0" and several will show up.

Toyota 3.0L UOA #1

Toyota 3.0L UOA #2

Toyota 3.0L UOA #3

The wear metals line up in this manner for these 3 reports:

code:

Aluminum 3 2 2

Chromium 0 0 1

Iron 11 5 9

Copper 9 8 3

Lead 4 0 6

Tin 0 0 0

Use a weighted average, midpoint, etc. to generate the goal numbers.

I'd pick something like:

Whatever the method, Toyota engines typically do not throw alot of wear metals, so look for the results to always be single digits!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back