Proper BMw coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been told to only use BMW "blue" coolant and distilled water in BMWs as there is concern over phospates and damage to aluminum and headgaskets. Is this really true or are there alternatives?

TIA

It's the safe route. Do a search on BASF and you should find their division that produces Glysantine coolants. They list the specs for their various coolants. The concern about phosphates has to do with the hard water in Europe and the precipitation of minerals in the water. This is less of a concern here in the U.S.

I've been using Zerex G-05 on my family's fleet of BMWs (e30, e34 and e36) and have not been disappointed--available over the counter at PepBoys and costs less than the genuine BMW coolant. G-05 is used by Mercedes, Ford and Chrysler. BTW, you could buy the equivalent to BMW coolant at a Saab dealer and perhaps save a little compared to BMW prices.

Thanks-I may search for Zerex G-05. seems hard to find here in central KY. No PepBoys here in Lexington-yet.

I used the BMW blue coolant from the dealer. 1 Jug was enough to do the job, and I think it ended up costing me an extra $9.

My thought was for the extra $9, I don't have to research compatibility issues with G05 for the coolant that doesn't come out of the block. Also I have a nice BMW dealership receipt to add to the maintenance records, for the next owner/potential buyer to look at.

BMW dealers are pretty easy to find, and for my money it was worth it.

AFAIK, Prestone also makes one of those coolant varieties that contains no phosphates, but I don't remember the exact product name. It should say it right on the bottle though.

Personally, when I had to top off, I just ended up getting the BMW stuff, albeit it was a bit pricy at $20 per gallon.

EDIT: Woohoo! This is post number 2000 for me.
banana.gif

Last edited:
G12 or else pentosin makes an equivalent blue coolant, which is what many BMW shops use...

JMH

Quote:

AFAIK, Prestone also makes one of those coolant varieties that contains no phosphates, but I don't remember the exact product name. It should say it right on the bottle though.

I sent Prestone an email about this (for my MINI) and they said their "All Makes All Models" is silicate and phosphate free.

BMW green-blue coolant is a hybrid type. The absense of phosphates is typic for all european coolants because of possible issue at dilution by a hard water. And seems water hardness is the only concern, but not aluminium or gasket. As for aluminium, the concern comes from the side of borates that may accelerate the corrosion if the process is already started.

Going to use G-05. Also I am currently using Prestone radiator cleaner (the kind you drain and fill with water/cleaner and drive for about a week than drain). I will do this twice, flush out remaining coolant with water then refill with G-05 and distilled water.

I want to make sure my 11 year old heater valves and heater core are as clean as possible. The radiator is 4 years old.

Used the G-05 after i cleaned (with Prestone cleaner)flushed radiator/block with distilled water twice. Then refilled with 5/50 G-05 and distilled water. Coolant looks very clear and no issues. We will see as I will change again in 1-2 years. Doubt if there will be any issues.

Hello
I use in my MINI Dealer Coolant, i think it is BMW Blue. Is this coolant a good one or i can use a better one?

Best Regards

I think it doesn't get any better. Use it and don't worry about it, that's my line. It isn't that expensive and my service advisor gives me a gallon if I mention I need it upon service or inspection.

Yep, as stated it is Zerex G-48 coolant made by Valvoline. You can get it at truck stops. Valvoline makes BMW USA's fluids that are branded BMW and Made in USA.

Rear end = Valvoline SynPower gear lube 75W-90
Motor oil = Valvoline SynPower
etc.

To be clear, I believe BMW:
- oils and gear lubes are made by Castrol;
- Transmission fluids by esso (among others);
- Coolant (g-48) by Ashland/Zerex/Valvoline

Quote:

In the USA, Ashland (Valvoline/Zerex) is the OEM for BMW dealer fluids, except for the special 10W-60 for M3s and M5s, supplied by BP Germany(Castrol RS).

Are you saying the current BMW 5w-30 high performance motor oil is actually Valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back