Proper amount of oil in A/C system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that every vehicle needs a specific amount of oil in the a/c system for lubrication, my question is if I replace the a/c compressor with a used one or a new one, how do I know how much oil to add? I will have a shop vacuum the system but I am sure there will still be some oil left in the system.

The service manual will specify how much to add. I would NOT use a used compressor. You also have to replace the receiver/dryer (or accumulator) at the same time, along with changing out the orifice tube (or thermal expansion valve).

TurboTravis is correct above. Every Denso compressor I've installed instructs you to dump out the existing oil in the new compressor and add back in a proper amount. As noted the service manual for your vehicle will list an amount of oil for each component which is replaced in the A/C system.

You are supposed to drain the old compressor and measure what came out. That's assuming nobody has over or under oiled it in the past. When I do this I use my educated guess. An extra ounce or 2 of oil won't hurt the cooling. A bunch extra will and may slug the compressor.

Originally Posted by kschachn
TurboTravis is correct above. Every Denso compressor I've installed instructs you to dump out the existing oil in the new compressor and add back in a proper amount. As noted the service manual for your vehicle will list an amount of oil for each component which is replaced in the A/C system.

You add the oil into the compressor before installing it onto the vehicle or when it is being charged with freon?

Greetings-
This brings up an interesting question- many ppl add refrigerant to their AC systems using those little cans available at auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, etc. but never add/replace additional oil that may have leaked out with the refrigerant. So...how does one address this?

It depends on how it leaked, if it was a slow leak you'll see some oil residue around a joint or hose fitting but that doesn't represent a large amount of the oil in the system. If you had a hose or fitting blow open then yes a larger amount of oil will escape (often seen as "oil everywhere"). Most leaks are slow ones so it won't make too much difference.

I once had a condenser leak at the bottom and there was quite a bit of oil under the car since that's a low spot in the system. When I replaced the condenser I added the amount of oil specified by the repair manual plus a bit more.

I know this sound like a pest but try to Google it.

That is what I did when I replaced a Sienna AC compressor.

At least on Toyota, there are website that store the amount of oil needed in the compressor.

Yes, you put the measured oil before the compressor is installed.
The compressor should come with a cap to make sure that you don't spill the oil.

If you are fixing a leak, there is a different way to add oil into the system and again, Google is your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back