Problems with wax lasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of good info here guys. It looks like I have a bit of research to do finding some of these products.

Originally Posted By: hostile
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Do a double coat of Collinite: one coat of 476s followed up with their 845.

That should last nearly all year.

What advantage is topping the 476s with the 845? Wouldn't 2 coats of the 476s do a nice job?

845 gives a deeper, "wetter" look.

I talked to a rep at Collinite (Steve was his name, iirc), and he said that the 476 acts more as more of a sealant and if you are going to use the 476/845 in conjunction, that is the best (rather than 845/476).

Apply the 476, wait 24 hours, then apply the 845.

With that double coat, bullets will most likely bounce off of the car.
39.gif

Thanks for the info:

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I use NuFinish and find it lasts about 9-11 months on my garage keep car at night.

In Miami-Fort Lauderdale Nu Finish and Black Liquid Magic will last for 4 to 6 months in the blazing sun and monsoon rain.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
With the exception of Collinite products no wax will last more than 8 weeks and that's only if the car is garaged. If you want to stay with a carnauba the Collinite Insulator Wax is impossible to beat. If you switch to a sealant then Duragloss #105 (labeled a polish but it's not) is inexpensive and very long lasting.

A combination of the two, sealant first, would be all but bulletproof!

I have a few tins of Megs #16 that would disagree with you. I also have a bottle of Clearkote Carnuaba Moose Wax that does 10 weeks.

OP have you tried switching the type of car soap you are using? You are using car soap and not dish washing liquid?
Are you following the recommended amount of soap per gallon(s)? It doesn't matter what wax and or sealant you use if you are using to harsh of a mix it will kill your protectant.

Originally Posted By: xtell
A word of caution, if you use Collinite, put it on thin. It can be a real chore to wipe it off if it is applied in a thick coat.

^^^^YES, especially the 476 (paste)!!

But I will second that it is WELL worth the effort, and the longest lasting, best protecting wax I've EVER used!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: wytstang
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
With the exception of Collinite products no wax will last more than 8 weeks and that's only if the car is garaged. If you want to stay with a carnauba the Collinite Insulator Wax is impossible to beat. If you switch to a sealant then Duragloss #105 (labeled a polish but it's not) is inexpensive and very long lasting.

A combination of the two, sealant first, would be all but bulletproof!

I have a few tins of Megs #16 that would disagree with you. I also have a bottle of Clearkote Carnuaba Moose Wax that does 10 weeks.

OP have you tried switching the type of car soap you are using? You are using car soap and not dish washing liquid?
Are you following the recommended amount of soap per gallon(s)? It doesn't matter what wax and or sealant you use if you are using to harsh of a mix it will kill your protectant.

I'm using car soap, not sure of the brand because I just bought a new one and the store didn't have the Meguiars that I've always used. I'm using it per the instructions.
I've used the same wax and wash on all of my cars. I waxed my old car 3-4 times a year and the water always beaded up. The water stops beading on my new car after about 4 weeks.

I'm wondering if the paint color has anything to do with how long wax lasts? I've noticed when I owned a white car the water seemed to bead up longer than on my dark blue or black vehicles. I always owned darker colors, and only had white once. Maybe it has something to do with how much hotter darker colors get when out in the sun?

There is no doubt certain products last longer than others, but I seem to remember the white car always retained the shine and water beading off it longer. Just a thought.

If your car is not that dirty you can use just plain water and no soap...Your wax will alot longer.

As far as waxes go Mothers was the worst I ever used...It barely lasted a week in this jungle heat...After one monsoon rain it was just about gone.

Everyone's definition of durablity differs.

I saw one poster who was proud of his 5 month old Nu Finish (posted a pic) that exhibited beads (the larger irregular shaped) and thought it was going strong. Most said it was shot. It just depends.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Do a double coat of Collinite: one coat of 476s followed up with their 845.

That should last nearly all year.

What advantage is topping the 476s with the 845? Wouldn't 2 coats of the 476s do a nice job?

845 gives a deeper, "wetter" look.

I talked to a rep at Collinite (Steve was his name, iirc), and he said that the 476 acts more as more of a sealant and if you are going to use the 476/845 in conjunction, that is the best (rather than 845/476).

Apply the 476, wait 24 hours, then apply the 845.

With that double coat, bullets will most likely bounce off of the car.
39.gif

That's exactly what I have done in the past and it would still bead water exceptionally well after 7+ months (October to May). Like hostile says, just make sure you let the 476 cure for at least 24 hours before applying the 845.
I also sometimes use Zaino and it lasts at least as well. These are my two favorite paint protection products and you can't go wrong with either one.

Well guys, as I said earlier, I purchased some 476 and have finally completed my wife's Accord. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it up (probably in a new thread). I was impressed with it. It's a little more difficult to remove than most of my Megs products I've used in the past, but not too much more. I'm not sure how many coats a can would do either. I probably put it on a little thick, but it looks like around 1/4 to 1/3 of the can is used.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Well guys, as I said earlier, I purchased some 476 and have finally completed my wife's Accord. I'll see if I can get some pictures of it up (probably in a new thread). I was impressed with it. It's a little more difficult to remove than most of my Megs products I've used in the past, but not too much more. I'm not sure how many coats a can would do either. I probably put it on a little thick, but it looks like around 1/4 to 1/3 of the can is used.

Oh my. You should be able to get 20 apps min from a can. It would likely look better when applied thinner as well as much easier to remove.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MKZman

Oh my. You should be able to get 20 apps min from a can. It would likely look better when applied thinner as well as much easier to remove.

+1

I used it on a full size van and don't use nearly that much. Thin uniform coats are best with wax, more or thicker is not better.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
If your car is not that dirty you can use just plain water and no soap...Your wax will alot longer.

Only if you want swirls and scratches in your paintwork! Car wash also contains lubricants that assist in ensuring any dirt is encapsulated and does minimal damage while being removed.

Plain water is for rinsing only.

Originally Posted By: LexusAussie
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

Only if you want swirls and scratches in your paintwork! Car wash also contains lubricants that assist in ensuring any dirt is encapsulated and does minimal damage while being removed.

Plain water is for rinsing only.

+1

Soap lifts dirt and helps it to "float" off. I'd be afraid to wash a car with plain water, even if the car was clean. JMO

Originally Posted By: MKZman

Wow. Thanks for the info. I probably did put it on too thick then. I did 2 coats and 4 on the hood. Maybe that had something to do with it, but I know it wouldn't last for 20 applications doing what I was doing. Maybe 8-10 coats? I'll thin it down when I do my truck with it this weekend and see what happens.

bigmike- Dampen the applicator with water and apply it very thin. If you plan on layering it, I would suggest doing additional coats with a days drying time in between.

I'm going to try topping 476s with the 845, when it gets a little cooler outside. I'll wait a week between coats, and re-wash before applying the 845.

How good is Collinite Insulator wax? After 6 months on my silver BMW, I clayed the car while washing it (twice as much Duragloss concentrate) and it still beaded water like it had been put on last week. Collinte = Best wax, bar none!
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back