Problem with M1 0W-40 in Suzuki 650 V-Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be reluctant to use a zero w anything in an air cooled motorcycle, unless you were in a very cold environment. I personally like the Rotella idea. Or even Brad Penn 20w50 motorcycle oil.

I didn't see a link to the UOA, so I don't know what to say yet...

Not really enough to go on.

But I agree that a 0Wanything isn't a good idea in a motorcycle.

Guys, I am the one that posted over on StromTroopers about 0W40. I found the analysis and comments as to its application in Motorcycles on this forum.

To my frustration (and poor searching skills)....I am unable to find the original posting that I referenced.

I will keep looking.

Like he just said!

Why anyone would use a 0W-? viscosity oil unless it was below 0 or required by the manufacturer in any kind of motor is beyond me.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: sunruh
ya'll might rethink your position on 0w- if you give that GC a try.

Ahh..i'm sure sunruh did extensive testing in the mix master
yammie he runs and did UOA's showing this oil works if he made
that statment..

Last edited by a moderator:
correctamundo!!!

ran it at the Gator Bait enduro a while back. early 06 i think.

flash 405
susvis of 61.3 !!!

and beat almost ALL (only exception is Maxima 4 Extra) of the 10w40's i've run!
that's right a 0w30 kicking the [censored] out of Havoline, Castrol GTX, Valvoline Motorcycle Spec, Castrol Motorcycle Spec, Exxon Superflo....10w40's. it got kicked by the elves.

price is spendy, but if you want a cold flow oil that holds up. the elves are up to the task!

one of those shocker results. like supertech.

Maybe I panic'ed a little too early, as I put 3 quarts in the Strom and ran it 500 miles. For those 500 miles, my engine was the smoothest running I have ever experienced. I only drained it, when I read from a couple of postings that it was a bad idea for motorcycle engines, where the oil also lubed the tranny.

If someone had the gumption to test 0W40 in their bike for 3,000-5,000 miles and then Blackstone the stuff.....well, I would love to see those numbers.

The Mobil 1 0W-40 has lots of friction modifiers which are not good for motorcycle engines with wet clutches. This helps it to shear down even faster than normal in wet clutch applicaations. Mobil 1 0W-40 was not made for the shear stress of a transmission, it has lots of VII, and a transmission will take it down quickly.

Some diesel oils also have friction modifiers. I called Mobil 1 about this and they said all of their diesel oils had friction modifiers. I called Amsoil and they siad none of their diesel oils had friction modifiers.

In my air cooled Honda, air cooled Suzuke, and in my Honda water cooled V twin, I used Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle. My best friend and his wife have his and her Harley Davidson low riders. They use Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back