Pro/gauge pho-288 dissection. Tell me what you think.

Hey guys! Posted a thread a few days ago asking about a bunch of old oil filters for my 7.3 idi. There was a person or two who suggested a cut open and sample. So here it is:
IMG_0936.jpeg
IMG_0935.jpeg

Gasket is beveled, and still soft. The end of the filter with the threads is THICK. This suprises me since I believe these were jobber filters when they were still around.
IMG_0942.jpeg
IMG_0943.jpeg
IMG_0939.jpeg

The filter media seems to be regulate ole cellulose media. Still very pliable and I could not rip it from the metal end caps. They are glued on there very well. The ends of the media are held together with a crimped piece of metal. I have no idea what the string is for.

Also one thing to note: No adbv. Idk if the old idi filters are supposed to have one or not but since I drive this truck almost daily, it dosent bother me.

Also notice that there are no louvers in the core. I am impressed.

The bypass spring? In the bottom of the can seems a little cheap, but we must remember that this is most likely a jobber filter and on this old 7.3, it won’t bother me. I think this filter will be fine or my 3,000 oci with t4 15-40.

Since I got like 12 or so have to me, I will use them now that I can see the media and the fact that it’s still strong.
IMG_0940.jpeg
IMG_0944.jpeg
image.jpg

Baby Aubrey agrees with dad as well!

If I called a part by the wrong name, please excuse me. Im not an expert on oil filters, I’m just a diesel mechanic.

Let me know if you’d like to see more posts like this. He has tons of old ac, purolater, Hastings fuel filters , and others!

Hey guys! Posted a thread a few days ago asking about a bunch of old oil filters for my 7.3 idi. There was a person or two who suggested a cut open and sample. So here it is:
View attachment 214413View attachment 214412
Gasket is beveled, and still soft. The end of the filter with the threads is THICK. This suprises me since I believe these were jobber filters when they were still around.
View attachment 214414View attachment 214415View attachment 214416
The filter media seems to be regulate ole cellulose media. Still very pliable and I could not rip it from the metal end caps. They are glued on there very well. The ends of the media are held together with a crimped piece of metal. I have no idea what the string is for.

Also one thing to note: No adbv. Idk if the old idi filters are supposed to have one or not but since I drive this truck almost daily, it dosent bother me.

Also notice that there are no louvers in the core. I am impressed.

The bypass spring? In the bottom of the can seems a little cheap, but we must remember that this is most likely a jobber filter and on this old 7.3, it won’t bother me. I think this filter will be fine or my 3,000 oci with t4 15-40.

Since I got like 12 or so have to me, I will use them now that I can see the media and the fact that it’s still strong.
View attachment 214417View attachment 214418View attachment 214420
Baby Aubrey agrees with dad as well!

If I called a part by the wrong name, please excuse me. Im not an expert on oil filters, I’m just a diesel mechanic.

Let me know if you’d like to see more posts like this. He has tons of old ac, purolater, Hastings fuel filters , and others!

Very nice photos and cut and post. Do you have a date code filters were made?

Thank Yiu

Not sure how to tell. These are from two different filters.

View attachment 214421

View attachment 214422
First filter has a Purolator format date code. The second filter has a Fram format date code.

"P" code on the Purolator could be 2004 or 2022, but since you got these knowing they are old it's a 2004 build.

Fram code is probably the 259th day of 2003 (instead of 2023) if you know it's also an old filter.

This is how some date codes are deciphered.

Last edited:
You're onto something about that media. That is some old "Yellow/Gold" media that is typical of cellulose from what I've seen. These are definitely old filters. Good history in the photos & congrats on the little one learning how to chop a filter in the meantime.

First filter has a Purolator format date code. The second filter has a Fram format date code.

"P" code on the Purolator could be 2004 or 2022, but since you got these knowing they are old it's a 2004 build.

Fram code is probably the 259th day of 2003 (instead of 2023) is you know it's also an old filter.

This is how some date codes are deciphered.

Thank You ZeeOSix for helping OP decipher date codes on these filters. I appreciate it very much 👍🍺🍺🇺🇸🇨🇦

Back