Private sale with a lien?

Agreed. But I recall in NYS that I had a title to a car I had a loan on. But your point is 100%--why would I, want to deal with a private party who can't pay off the loan? For supply or demand, the two concepts that come to mind are, willing and able. We're assuming they're not able to. What if they're not willing to (after collecting funds)?
In KY the buyer holds the title but the lien is recorded on it. When you pay it off you take the payoff letter and the title to the county clerk and she notarizes the lien clearance.

Thinking about it, I've sold two vehicles that I owed money on here in VA and don't recall any drama. You get a copy of your title here so just sign it over and paid off the loan. You can always just both go to the bank to do the transaction or I've heard there are services that can do this using escrow/third party to ensure it's paid off. Really isn't strange/shady to owe money on a vehicle and sell it privately.

Had this situation with a WRX I bought a few years ago. I met the seller at the leinholder's bank. We both gave checks to the bank to pay off the loan and I took possession of the car. It took the bank over a month to send out the title. And the title goes to the guy I bought it from, so if he wanted to be a hard case and not sign it over to me, it could have become a problem. Luckily it went smoothly.

I'm sure there is a better way to do this than what you described, right? If im understanding correctly, in the situation you described, to the bank you're essentially just some guy thats helping pay of this dudes(the sellers) loan, and they send a non-lien title to the seller in the sellers name. That doesnt seem any better than giving the seller money blind in the parking lot then praying he sends you a clean title to sign at some point. I've never been a buyer or seller in this situation but I always assumed there was some kind of mechanism IE when you are at the bank(lien holder) with the seller you can have the new non-lien title signed over to you during the process of the loan being payed off and the lien released.

I'm sure there is a better way to do this than what you described, right? If im understanding correctly, in the situation you described, to the bank you're essentially just some guy thats helping pay of this dudes(the sellers) loan, and they send a non-lien title to the seller in the sellers name. That doesnt seem any better than giving the seller money blind in the parking lot then praying he sends you a clean title to sign at some point. I've never been a buyer or seller in this situation but I always assumed there was some kind of mechanism IE when you are at the bank(lien holder) with the seller you can have the new non-lien title signed over to you during the process of the loan being payed off and the lien released.
The car is in the sellers name so that's where the bank will send the title. The bank isn't going to give you a non-lien title on the spot. They have to process the lien release, maybe at a central location a thousand miles away, and also take care of the DMV paperwork.

The car is in the sellers name so that's where the bank will send the title. The bank isn't going to give you a non-lien title on the spot. They have to process the lien release, maybe at a central location a thousand miles away, and also take care of the DMV paperwork.

I understand that its not instantaneous in terms of processing and receiving the new lien-free title, I would have just thought theres some procedure that would be available that guarantees the buyer gets on the title, by whatever mechanism or point in the process that would be.

There might be, I'm just not aware of it. If the seller can't pay it off themselves, you pretty much have to pay it off for him directly to the bank. As long you have possession of the car, 9/10th of the law is on your side.

Reactions: KJH
I understand that its not instantaneous in terms of processing and receiving the new lien-free title, I would have just thought theres some procedure that would be available that guarantees the buyer gets on the title, by whatever mechanism or point in the process that would be.
My state has a paper title application, with carbon copies for the buyer and any other interested party.

There's a "registrant" name & address field, and, if applicable, a "lienholder" one.

I would trust the bank to put the original form in with the DMV if they gave me a carbon copy showing me the title was going to be coming in my name to my address. I wouldn't trust some random dude unless we met at the DMV and did the papers at the counter.

Reactions: KJH
When I sold the evo, the buyer went with me to the bank to pay it off. Other than a bill of sale, it was my goodwill that I send the title to him after the bank sent me it 2 days later.

How is this any different than buying a car at a dealership...you don't walk out with your title in hand...it gets mailed to you later.

I think the point is with a private sale, you don't know what the seller might be up to or if he disappears. With a dealer, you know where they are and they have more accountability.
I guess at some point private sale isn't for everyone and yes, I agree/understand that you can screwed over either way. As I've said, here in VA, you have your paper title, it just says lein on it. You sell the car, sign over the title, the buyer can go reg the car/title it that day but of course it has a lein still on it that is released when the bank loan is paid off by the seller with the proceeds from the sale. I believe the rest is handled by the DMV w/r to a new title that says "no lein". I'm honestly not sure what happens in the case that you have the title but the seller didn't pay the loan off, does the bank come repo your car or go after the seller? I like the idea of these third-party escrow services that handle this and is should make this process easier for both parties or just doing the transaction at the bank (could even be remote now..Zoom call!) to make sure the loan is paid off.

As I've said, here in VA, you have your paper title, it just says lein on it. You sell the car, sign over the title, the buyer can go reg the car/title it that day but of course it has a lein still on it that is released when the bank loan is paid off by the seller with the proceeds from the sale.
A buyer in MD or probably any other state couldn't register or title a car with a title like that. Find it hard to believe you could do that in VA. I mean, if there is lien on it, the seller doesn't have full right, title and interest in it. The bank does.

How does one safely buy a used car in a private sale when it still has a lien? I assume the debt follows the vehicle and not the guy who incurred it, so how do you make sure it’s paid off before you give them the money? I can see this being a sticking point because the seller probably doesn’t have the funds to pay it off until he gets your money? Is their a standard way of handling a sale like this?

I’m sorry if this is a noob question but it’s not a situation I’ve ever been in.
Ask for the pay off for the lien and cut a cashiers check for whatever amount you're contributing. Put your name in the remitter and a comment about purchase of vehicle.

Your protection is the sales contract, a copy of the cashier's check from both you and the seller (if he has to come up with some money on his side), a copy of the payoff quote, and the vehicle. The state will mail the clean title to the seller as soon as the bank reports it paid off. Seller will sign and should overnight the title to you or hand deliver it if possible. This is how I sold my 335d and the buyer, who was a hedge fund manager, had no problems with it.

Your own state may do things a little differently. Give them a phone. It won't hurt.

Ask for the pay off for the lien and cut a cashiers check for whatever amount you're contributing. Put your name in the remitter and a comment about purchase of vehicle.

Your protection is the sales contract, a copy of the cashier's check from both you and the seller (if he has to come up with some money on his side), a copy of the payoff quote, and the vehicle. The state will mail the clean title to the seller as soon as the bank reports it paid off. Seller will sign and should overnight the title to you or hand deliver it if possible. This is how I sold my 335d and the buyer, who was a hedge fund manager, had no problems with it.

Your own state may do things a little differently. Give them a phone. It won't hurt.
In KY the lienholder doesn’t hold the title, the car possessor does, but the lien holder is listed on the face. To transfer the title the buyer would need the seller to sign it and have it notarized. The buyer would need the payoff letter from the lender to have the title cleared by the county clerk, or would need the seller to do that for them. So I guess I’ve ended up answering my own question in a roundabout way. I would only do it if I could have a copy of the payoff letter at the time of transfer.

I'm out on this, clearly I'm not remember how this all worked here in VA, that was 20 years ago + and I was the seller. So somehow I sold two vehicles with leins without drama or concern from the buyer.

I would believe the seller will not have the title till the debt is paid. No clear tiltle no sale for me, it's not worth the hassle..
This.

OP, please, please research this before you hand over 1 cent.

If the seller has a title in hand and it shows a lien holder, that's not a title you can take to the DMV and get your plates.

There MUST be documentation that the lien is paid off.

Back