Printer recommendation

My vote goes to HP but i have always used the officejet line and i use it daily which probably helps reliability.

I have the MS Store disabled via GPO to my company and it annoys me that I have to unblock the store to download the HP Smart program for company PCs. I don't understand why they can't just have a separate download.

If you have GPO's, why wouldn't you have a print server with a packaged driver?

If you have GPO's, why wouldn't you have a print server with a packaged driver?

It's for our field/temp offices and remote workers. Most of our employees at the moment are remote and another 70% also work remote the majority of the time so sometimes I have to order them their own printers. I've tried to do it but it's like the printers require the HP Smart program to be downloaded from MS Store, unless I'm missing something.

IMHO, for a basic laser B&W printer - something like Brother HL-2240 or its current replacement would work very well. They are cheap to buy, cheap 3rd party toner can be had and they are very reliable. I had HL-2240 in the past for a few years before I gave it to a friend.
Replaced it with another Brother, this time DCP-L2550DW, and running it for about 4 years now. It went thru a few 3rd party carts and is still running strong.

I have had excellent service from a HP 5540. I enrolled in the HP instant ink program and printer worries are no more. In three years I have only paid $2
Right after I enrolled In the Instant Ink program I received the High Capacity ink cartridges, which have been in for 3 years.
This is the FREE plan. Gives you 15 pages per month free.

Other plan are available.
The 15 pages per month plan is 0.99 per month, not free. Since it is not free it is actually a very expensive plan when you factor in the subscription.

@PandaBear They rescinded the recent decision to charge for the 15 pages per month plan. Received a email notifying me that the plan was reverting back to free before I was charged. I still have not paid except for once when I needed to print 30 pages and I was charged $2

Just had a 13 page month and paid nothing. Tax returns you know.

Last edited:
@PandaBear They rescinded the recent decision to charge for the 15 pages per month plan. Received a email notifying me that the plan was reverting back to free before I was charged. I still have not paid except for once when I needed to print 30 pages and I was charged $2

Just had a 13 page month and paid nothing. Tax returns you know.
Good for you.

I do not want to keep track of how many I print, when an aftermarket toner is only $15 for 1000 pages and a printer is $80 on sale and last 10 years.

Cheap laser is fine if you don't want/need color.

I'm done with Epson and Brother inkjets, I've been happy with my hp inkjet on the instant ink program. I like knowing that if I have to run a bunch of cleaning cycles due to lack of use, I'm covered. It's also funny how much longer cartridges seem to last on instant ink when it's in HP's best interest to make them last as long as possible. Also none of this, one color is out, so we can't print anything at all nonsense, not yet at least (been over a year with the same cartridges).

Epson - Heads clog constantly, different models, didn't matter. Might be my lack of use, but I don't care, I don't want to burn through ink doing cleaning cycles to "fix" the problem.
Brother - Heads didn't clog, but automatic cleaning cycles which burn through your ink. Turn the printer off? It'll turn itself back on to run the cycle. Printer unplugged? When it gets plugged back in, it'll force itself to do the missed cleaning cycle(s).

I have Canon Multifunction B/W laser printer D480 for over 10 years.
It works with aftermarket cheap toner like $25 per pack of 2.
It has been reliable.
It can do printing, copying, scanning, fax (old school) with a feeder on top for 2 sided.

I am sure there are latest model from Canon nowadays which is basically the same design.

Reactions: JTK
For b&W a laser is the way to go. like others here i have a brother one and toner is cheap and they are reliable. i have found if i need color its cheaper to print it at a store especially pictures.

i will never own an inkjet again . they rape you on the cartridges

Thanks to OP for this thread!

We were experiencing exactly the same problem as you - we had an HP 5180 all-in-one that I had bought around 2007-2008. Worked well, except for the ink problem.

Since we don’t print often, it would tell us that the ink was expired and needed to be replaced, even if we just wanted to print a simple B&W doc, and one of the color ink cartridges was expired, and the larger black ink was still good.

I wound up following y’all’s recommendation and getting a Brother b&w laser - the HLL2370DW.

Our criteria were:

- Apple AirPrint compatibility
- WiFi compatibility
- Long-lasting print capacity

This printer meets these requirements.

We shouldn’t have to replace the toner for a while, as estimated capacity is 700 pages. I bet we don’t go through 700 pages in years! And thanks to y’all, I know that toner is non-volatile, and won’t expire. Perfect for our needs!

Initial installation and software updates on my laptop was easy using the included CD-ROM. You can also download the software from their website.

It seems to work quickly and easily printing either through a computer, or from our iPhones.

I bought mine at Office Depot and they price-matched Best Buy, for $139.

I actually just realized tonight that Brother offers an all-in-one for only $10 more (HLL2390/2395), and if I had it to do over again, I’d go that route, even though we rarely use copy or scan function.

Thanks for the advice, guys, and Happy New Year!

Back