Printer not communicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had an HP PSC 2175 for maybe 5 years. I never have used it that much. I went to print something the other day, and it wouldn't print. It is listed as an available printer. When I send a test page, I get a message that it was sent successfully. any print job shows up in the printing queue as processing.

I have been using its card slot to transfer pictures from my camera to the computer. That still works fine. Under Linux, psusb shows it. I have tried reinstalling the drivers.

Today I moved it to an older computer running Windows 98. On start up, it gave me the printer under new hardware and searched for drivers. When I finally got it out of that loop, I went to HP and downloaded and installed the driver. It came back with no printer for the driver. Any idea what is happening?

Did you try unplugging it from the USB and POWER and letting it sit for about 10 minutes and then plug it back in? I have had this similar issue with a Canon and this solved it.

If that doesn't work, try unplugging the printer from the computer and uninstall the drivers. Reboot, reinstall the drivers and plug in the printer's USB cable when prompted by the driver installation or after rebooting the computer after reinstalling the drivers for the second time.

Sometimes hot-fixes and service pack updates can cause wonky things like this to happen because they goof a section of the registry or DLL files that the printer is dependent upon during the update only for you to find this kind or problem later with no cause.

Good Luck!
thumbsup2.gif

I just reinstalled XP and have a PSC 2175. I had to go into the hardware manager and update the drivers manually. For some reason the HP software didn't do it like it had in the past. You could try that approach.

In the future, just delete your USB root hub drivers from the device manager. This will force the PC to re-install your USB and printer drivers automatically upon reboot which typically fixes that issue and wealth of other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back