Prince of Monaco's W126

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reserve auction

http://www.artcurial.com/en/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=2231++++++23+&refno=10399581

8,408km

Quote:
For Mercedes large coupes are a tradition. In a more sporty and elegant form than the saloons, the Mercedes coupes usually offer four seats, have the greatest range of engines and offer superior performance. This is exactly what characterizes the coupes 380 and 500SEC launched in 1981. Extremely well built, according to the brand's tradition, they offer an above- average finish, complete set of equipment and sophisticated comfort. Under the hood of the 500, there is a big V8 developing 231bhp and a torque of 41.3mkg at 3000rpm, allowing the car to show its supremacy when the light turns green, covering the kilometer standing start in just 28.3 seconds, onwards to a top speed of 225km/h, all in perfect quiet and refinement. These performance figures have given this model a justified reputation as a tireless grand tourer that can devour motorways. The cars can easily cover 300,000 km without problems.

The 500SEC on offer here was used personally by Prince Rainier, who had bought the car new from the Mercedes-Benz dealership in Monaco. He had ordered a special finish at AMG and that included a special steering wheel, a rear spoiler, special side sills, the rims, suspensions with lowered springs, an integral paint covering the entire car, including grille and window surrounds. Blue was the favourite colour of the Prince, and this car is a reflection of that. Inside, the upholstery is in dark blue leather, with wood veneer on the center console and dashboard. Two new Recaro buckets, part of the AMG kit, come with the car. The 500SEC saw little use and the odometer shows only 8,408km, which explains its almost new condition. The maintenance log indicates a service on March 29, 1983, at 1,963km, and mechanics subjected the car to a recent re-start, during which the fuel pump was replaced with a new one. It is unusual to find a 500 SEC as new as this one, which benefits more from a unique and special trim representing the very pinnacle of the brand with the star. An unique opportunity that comes by rarely.

original.jpg

Very nice car, to bad the AMG work is just cosmetic. Still an awesome car.

I'd buy it, I'd pay $30k-$40k for it.

The W126 I really want is a late 80's super crazy Japan version, 560SEC AMG Hammer wide body with the 6L quad cam motor. Only downside of the 6L motor is if you manage to damage one of the heads its like OMFG expensive. AMG will have to custom$$$ make you a new one.

http://www.garagecurrent.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: typ901
a whopping 231 BHP. Only 10 more than the screaming 221 BHP in my w210!!

No their facts are a bit off.

That's the rating for a North American smog M117, Euro M117's were about 300hp.

At the time that was a lot of HP, the Corvette had what 180? 200?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back