Primer bulb - then engine dies (Stihl FS40)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

Just to avoid confusion... I'm not flacoman (who also had difficulty with primer bulb failures)- but still had to recently replace my FS40 primer bulb due to cracking. The engine seemed to run just dandy up to this point.

However, now the darn engine won't seem to run for more than 5 seconds or so without sprutterin' and dying. Does this symptom clue any of you guys in to what my underlying problem might be?

Originally Posted By: RnR
Just to avoid confusion... I'm not flacoman (who also had difficulty with primer bulb failures)- but still had to recently replace my FS40 primer bulb due to cracking. The engine seemed to run just dandy up to this point.

However, now the darn engine won't seem to run for more than 5 seconds or so without sprutterin' and dying. Does this symptom clue any of you guys in to what my underlying problem might be?

Sounds like a cracked fuel line assembly. Just replaced one in my FS55.

Though I have experience with Stihl products none have been FS40s. Nonetheless, here are suggestions. Typically, there is a plastic pick up at the end of the fuel line in the tank that has a filter screen. I have never seen one totally stopped up but it's possible. More likely, there is something in the carb. I'd suggest removing it. There are covers on opposite sides of the carb each held on by 4 little screws. Under one cover is a tiny inlet needle with a spring and under the other cover is an open chamber. I normally take off the covers very carefully, so as not to damage the gaskets, and then spray out all the passageways using a can of carb cleaner with the straw attached. I bet that will fix it.

Originally Posted By: RnR

How do you handle your fuel mixture. Do you leave it in the tank and how long of a period. Stale gas can do harm to rubber parts and gaskets.

I have done very little maintenance to this FS40 over the years I've had it, although the fuel pickup has been replaced and perhaps that needs to be done once again. I may also need to take the carb apart and flush that out too. The fuel has never been drained, just run dry and put up for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back