Price of Winter tires.. :-O

I recently had some sticker shock when purchasing new snow tires for the Forte and Sonata from the rack.

I went with Michelin X-Ice Snow tires in the 215/45/R17 size for Forte
69023113407__980A39DE-BCA7-4987-9E44-4976A8C7A4E8.jpeg

The Sonata is getting Firestone WinterForce 2 in 205/65/R16
69023143146__915E17C1-F153-476B-B74A-A35A3603FC2A.jpeg

I don't really trust the eBay Amazon tires and tire rack I've been using for sometime but the last few years tire rack does not seem like the "bargain" they once were. The prices are competitive-yes and I don't believe I'm overpaying plus the shipping is lightning fast overnight most times. I'm willing to pay for convenience, new stock tires ect. so even if I'm not saving a ton of cash, the whole transaction as a whole is always smooth, and fast.

How many miles to snow tires last btw? I always buy snow tires used on market place use them for season or two a move on. This is the first year im going "new" for snows with the hope they last 3-4 seasons.

As they get older, they get harder. Plus the best half of the tread is the first.

Not sure I would use past six years or so, but maybe just use until you traction is not quite as good as you remember. or the tread is below 6/32 or so.

I don't drive a ton so every 5 years max I plan to swap mine. As Supton said they will perform worse over time do to hardening. The exact opposite reason you want a snow tire.

As they get older, they get harder. Plus the best half of the tread is the first.

Not sure I would use past six years or so, but maybe just use until you traction is not quite as good as you remember. or the tread is below 6/32 or so.
He likely will wear the snows out before they "harden". What you stated applies to most if not all tires. That should not discourage the purchase of snows.

How many miles to snow tires last btw? I always buy snow tires used on market place use them for season or two a move on. This is the first year im going "new" for snows with the hope they last 3-4 seasons.
Your Michelins have a 40,000 mile treadwear warranty.

Details: the treadwear warranty requires you get the tire down to 2/32" tread depth. And there is a proof of usage required:

To maintain coverage under the limited warranty for treadwear, MICHELIN® winter tires require documentation of the timing of the installation and removal of the tires each winter. Winter is defined as the period beginning no earlier than September 1 of a given year and ending no later than April 30 of the following year.

Last edited:
He likely will wear the snows out before they "harden". What you stated applies to most if not all tires. That should not discourage the purchase of snows.
Where did you get miles per year out of the post?

Last set of winters we retired - General Altimax Arctic (not Arctic 12) after 7 years at 36,250 miles; that was 2 years ago, got Arctic 12 as replacement and the new tires are much better than old ones when they were new.

I just replaced a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 winter tires that lasted 9 winters. This spring they still had about 6/32" of tread left, so I left them on through the summer to wear them out. Just yesterday, I replaced them with a set of Blizzak DMV2.

I kept close records for the first 6 winters, and had 26k miles on them. So I estimate that I put about 38k - 42k miles on them.

I can't say you will get that many miles out of all winter tires. But I couldn't be happier with how well my set of Blizzak wore.

I drive a lot - especially in the winter - and after about four years I can feel my winter tires getting slick. Keeping them one more year is always risky. Dunlop Wintersport SP here.

One thing I nearly had to learn the hard way: When it's time for a new set, get them early. Last set I bought, I waited until about November to order them. I had to wait several weeks for them to come in. Next time, I'll buy them early - like in July!

Mine have usually lasted around 2 years/30K miles until the tread hits ~5-6/32. Usually by that time spring is about to show and snow doesn't stick.

Where did you get miles per year out of the post?
Where did you get your figure at which the "hardening" effect takes place? I have used snows well beyond six years with good performance. The OP made the right choice with his purchase as the snows very likely are going to outperform any all season tire on ice and snow..

Where did you get your figure at which the "hardening" effect takes place? I have used snows well beyond six years with good performance. The OP made the right choice with his purchase as the snows very likely are going to outperform any all season tire on ice and snow..
Not sure why you think I am against him getting snows?

Usual advice around here is that tires harden around this age point. I have not measured, but I did pick up a one of those durometers(?) and really should get in the habit of measuring… but then I’m pretty sure tire temperature would have to be recorded too. Anyhow… tires clearly harden over time. OP wanted to know how long the tire would be good for, and while tire performance is always on a slope once put into service, 6 years is not a bad lifespan. 6 years or 5-6/32’s, whichever comes first, not all that far removed from recommendations for all seasons.

Do you have better recommendations for expected tire life?

I just replaced a set of Bridgestone Blizzak DMV1 winter tires that lasted 9 winters. This spring they still had about 6/32" of tread left, so I left them on through the summer to wear them out. Just yesterday, I replaced them with a set of Blizzak DMV2.

I kept close records for the first 6 winters, and had 26k miles on them. So I estimate that I put about 38k - 42k miles on them.

I can't say you will get that many miles out of all winter tires. But I couldn't be happier with how well my set of Blizzak wore.
That was not winter tire last 3-4 seasons.

That was not winter tire last 3-4 seasons.
With all due respect, I don't see how you, without seeing, handling, or driving on these tires, can make that determination.

Each year, when these tires were rotated off the car, they were thoroughly treated with Aerospace 303. I measured and tracked tread depth regularly. I paid attention to how they handled in the snow, and on ice. I also paid attention to how their grip was during braking.

Do you have some special training, on how Blizzak DMV1 tires hold up, with these particular conditions, that my tires experienced during their life? Have you been in my garage, checking hardness of these tires with a durometer? Have you been checking the tread depth on my tires each season?

With all due respect, I don't see how you, without seeing, handling, or driving on these tires, can make that determination.

Each year, when these tires were rotated off the car, they were thoroughly treated with Aerospace 303. I measured and tracked tread depth regularly. I paid attention to how they handled in the snow, and on ice. I also paid attention to how their grip was during braking.

Do you have some special training, on how Blizzak DMV1 tires hold up, with these particular conditions, that my tires experienced during their life? Have you been in my garage, checking hardness of these tires with a durometer? Have you been checking the tread depth on my tires each season? I didn't think so.

Do you have some special training, on how Blizzak DMV1 tires hold up, with these particular conditions, that my tires experienced during their life? Have you been in my garage, checking hardness of these tires with a durometer? Have you been checking the tread depth on my tires each season?
No I do not have special training, but all tires have a degradation of performance, especially snow tires. Depth is not what I am talking about, it is change within the compound that happens simply bcs. of age due to environmental factors etc.

I highly doubt DM-V1 is THE ONLY tire that does not go through that process.
Consumer Reports did study that someone a couple of years posted here, where they measured performance degradation. Michelin had lowest and Yokohama the highest, adding I think 60ft braking distance after 5yrs of exploitation.
Mercedes recommends changing tires after they turn 6 years.

Also, you cannot follow that closely using your butt dyno. The degradation is slow. You get used to it, like you get used to the degradation of shock absorbers until they start leaking.

No I do not have special training, but all tires have a degradation of performance, especially snow tires. Depth is not what I am talking about, it is change within the compound that happens simply bcs. of age due to environmental factors etc.

I highly doubt DM-V1 is THE ONLY tire that does not go through that process.
Consumer Reports did study that someone a couple of years posted here, where they measured performance degradation. Michelin had lowest and Yokohama the highest, adding I think 60ft braking distance after 5yrs of exploitation.
Mercedes recommends changing tires after they turn 6 years.

Also, you cannot follow that closely using your butt dyno. The degradation is slow. You get used to it, like you get used to the degradation of shock absorbers until they start leaking.
So how did you derive at 3-4 years for my tires?

So how did you derive at 3-4 years for my tires?
Most companies, especially car companies, recommend 5-6 years for replacement.
So, 9-3=6 or 9-4=5.

I wear out my tires long before 5th year. But my wife doesn’t. There is no way I am going to let my wife and kids to be driven in vehicle with tires older than 5-6years from DOT. I simply replace them regardless of depth.

Mine have usually lasted around 2 years/30K miles until the tread hits ~5-6/32. Usually by that time spring is about to show and snow doesn't stick.
even when I lived in the snow belt winter tires usually lasted about 2 years/30k miles for me... since I have a longer commute to work, so miles and wear adds up quick.

Back